BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, what's up?

So I know that this has been mentioned quite a lot in here but I just want to start my own thread discussing my own specific problems.

So I have the BMW Business stereo which I want to upgrade to a screen with an android system. For now, I'm thinking of the Dynavin D99 as it's the best looking screen comparing it to an E39 and it's made specifically for the car. plus, the structure of the screen is just like the original one so it won't look weird.

What makes me think about this twice is the insane price of the screen. it's a bit more than the price I was hoping for, and I can still handle it. but it would be even better if there was any other solutions.

So what I am asking is.. Is any of you guys familiar with any other screen with the same quality, and for a lower price? Or if any of you has installed it on his car, then can you give me a feedback of how the screen is working so far for you?

Plus, since I have the BMW Business stereo, what's so good about this screen is that it has an adapter that makes the screen be easily installed instead of doing the wiring and spending another amount of money on it.

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would get the N6 over the D99. Do you have the DSP button or not?
I was also thinking about the N6 aswell, the price range's kinda the same but the N6 is cheaper, I never understood what are the differences between them, but I read that the N6 isn't an android system? and no, I don't think I have that DSP button, I have the "Audio" one instead. :)

·
It's Bimmer, not BEEEEMER
462 Posts
The Dynavin is not a true android system. It runs a proprietary os, so you are limited on apps.

Eonon is almost half the price and true android os.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Dynavin is not a true android system. It runs a proprietary os, so you are limited on apps.

Eonon is almost half the price and true android os.

Oh yea I've seen one of those but never really had the chance to look them up.. Is it made specifically for the e39 aswell? And does it come with an adapter in the back? And if it has a few models then which one would u recommend me with! :)
Thanks!

·
Registered
398 Posts
The latest Eonon and ****** (Android 5.1.1) are pretty nice headunits and now fit perfectly with the E39 center console. Just buy from a reputable source (not eBay) and cross your fingers because some have had quality control issues. They're not as strongly recommended as Dynavin, but at half the cost and with an infinitely more versatile OS that seamlessly integrates with smartphones, it's definitely tempting.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The latest Eonon and ****** (Android 5.1.1) are pretty nice headunits and now fit perfectly with the E39 center console. Just buy from a reputable source (not eBay) and cross your fingers because some have had quality control issues. They're not as strongly recommended as Dynavin, but at half the cost and with an infinitely more versatile OS that seamlessly integrates with smartphones, it's definitely tempting.
Haha u got my mind blown now, I'll look them up later and have a lil bit of read about them. The thing is that When it comes to Dynavin, i never take a second thought about it. For other screens I'm always afraid to face some problems.
But sure.. I'll look them up later, and if they are much cheaper then I'll be able to buy one right now instead of waiting.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Hi,

I suggest you search around on all the various BMW forums and look up the threads by many E39 owners who purchased an E non, ****** ( I've just seen this forum auto deletes the x tr ons brand), Dynavin, Avin, Erisin, pumpkin and any other Chinese 'clone' type name unit.

What you'll find is that the vast majority of purchasers got units that either were problematic on arrival or over a short period of time, developed problems and issues. The resulting after sales care and support was/is very very poor to non existent and those owners weren't happy at all. The e non brand for instance sponsored this forum and the thread for buying their unit and then all the problems that followed meant that they're now no longer here - I don't know if that was due to the forum owners removing them or if e non themselves stopped due to all the unhappy customers. They did the same on the other big USA BMW forum where their brand name gets automatically removed if you type it and also the same on a UK forum as well - many unhappy customers. The other brands you see, all have a mix of pretty much the same sort of thing although they didn't sponsor forums.

Now you'll also find a relative 'handful' of purchasers who say their Chinese unit has been good and consistently reliable and works well. There's a few of those guys on this forum and the others too. They'll recommend to buy one as their unit has been a good one, but the 90%+ of purchasers who've had issues and problems won't recommend them.

So in short, it comes down to 'luck'. You 'might' get a fully working, consistently reliable unit like a few guys did. You'll 'most likely' get a unit with issues from the outset or begins to develop them after a short time (a few weeks to a few months after purchase).

The D99 was the earlier Dynavin model, and the N6 is the current one. In the USA, Dynavin is very very well supported by Jeff at J&T distributing in Fresno California. He provides the service and warranty you'd expect when buying a $500 item so the USA guys are covered here. Everywhere else, the various importers are nowhere near that level. In the UK, the importer was taken to court by a customer and they successfully proved the item wasn't fit for purpose. I doubt there's a top notch importer in Bahrain but you never know! The N6 is the 'best' of the cheap Chinese replacement units but it can and does have issues still. If you *must* buy a Chinese unit, then buy from Jeff as mentioned above. You'll have to pay extra shipping charges to get it to you but if you get issues he'll try his very best to help. The worst scenario is that you'd have to ship the unit back to him in the USA and the shipping again to get a replacement to you. You'll most likely not get anywhere near as much help from any of the other units and their sellers.

Cheers, Dennis!

·
462 Posts
Many of the e46 guys have had good luck with the eonon based on the forum im involved in. I have an eonon in the garage waiting to install, but I'm waiting on one last piece for my console as I'm going to do it all at once. Haven't decided what I'm going to do on my e39 yet but will know more once I have a chance to play the eonon.

You are right Dennis, Jeff and his support are very impressive. I am not even price sensitive... $1,000 for the Dynavin would have been fine if only it had the ability to either 1) leverage car play, or; 2) download non proprietary apps.

If you have an iPhone and want to use Waze for example. How do you do that with the Dynavin? Sirius support? Sure you can run the app from your phone and Bluetooth stream for music. What about my lift master garage door app?

Dynavin would be a no brainer if the dumped the CD/DVD and instead spent the money on Sirius INTEGRATION and added car play. If this were the case, I would be a 3x customer of Jeff's for my e38 (without the CD player it would fit), my e39 and my e46.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Hi

Adwebinc - There's a chance that in the last couple years, the quality of these mass produced units have improved to the extent the unit's are more reliable and less prone to issues. That also said, in some very recent and current threads about Chinese units, the same sorts of mentions of 'issues' still get reported. Do remember that enon aren't the manufacturers of the unit, there's perhaps 4/5 factories with 2 letter names which make them en masse and the brands like x tr ons, e non, erisin, dynavin etc add their software skins over the top. None of these units and the low grade factories and components used for them can be Apple CarPlay certified as the quality level is way too poor. The factories won't invest the millions of dollars ensuring their products are good enough, remember the Chinese replacement unit's are for the low end/entry level of the market as they use generic hardware usually cheap tablet quality levels and put them into a car shaped chassis. Sirius/XM is a USA only service and there's different technologies around the other world's territories where BMW's are. It'll cost them more to develop region specific units DAB+ in the UK for instance and all the other Digital Radio services.

The automotive electronics industry does move fast and there'll be new products and hopefully some for the E46/E39/E38/E53 era of cars and owners to be able to choose high quality and reputable car audio head unit brands etc!

Cheers, Dennis!

·
462 Posts
DennisCooper!; The automotive electronics industry does move fast and there'll be new products and hopefully some for the E46/E39/E38/E53 era of cars and owners to be able to choose high quality and reputable car audio head unit brands etc! Cheers said:
I hope so!!

·
Registered
883 Posts
I just pulled my Avin Avant2 out to go back to the stock radio as I liked the stock look better. Let me know if you're interested in purchasing it. Works great.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks DennisCooper for the valuable information, I guess I'll just have to look into it even more, the reason why I was feeling more comfortable at first with the Dynavin is because it looks more like the original BMW screen, I don't want to install something that'll look so different. the Eonon looks great aswell, knowing that the Dynavin doesn't fully support android smartphones and that the Eonon has some problems.. it makes me worried to take this decision right away.
Basically, all I am looking for is an android screen with an outside design similar to the E39 original screen. I don't want it to look so different. The Eonon price was perfect for me but I am a bit afraid now to take that chance of buying it. :dunno:
So I am not really sure about what my next step's gonna be..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just pulled my Avin Avant2 out to go back to the stock radio as I liked the stock look better. Let me know if you're interested in purchasing it. Works great.
Like I said, I am looking for a screen with a design that's similar to the E39 original screen, don't want to buy something that looks different, I'll just have to look more into this and see what I end up with :tsk:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I've looked for the Eonon and the Avin avant-2 , they both have a curve on the top which makes the car look weird. I am sorry if I'm being so worried about this whole thing. The idea of the screens is just great, but it's so difficult to find the perfect one.
They either have problems, different outer design or just made more for the apple devices. :mad:

EDIT: and how about "Hizpo:? I found one but I'm not sure if it's great for using or not.. any of you have any knowledge of this? Should I buy it and give it a try? :D

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Hi,

Yes, the Avin and some other units have a more pronounced curve at the top face of the unit as they were made for the E53 X5 cars. Some people install them in the E39 and it looks look well off but they seem happy for it looking like that as quite often, the rest of the unit makes them pull their hair out with problems/issues etc.

'Hizpo' .. more of the same as above, just a name added to generic low quality units.

Currently there's not much choice for you really. The oem monitor and modules are technology from the late 90's and they're old and failing more often now as well as being expensive to get all the parts and to keep them working etc. The cheap Chinese units you are currently looking at have reliability/consistent performance/support problems/issues with little to zero support after the purchase and some are very expensive (avin unit at $600 USD) If you do get one of these, then if the unit does have issues (which is more likely than not) you'll be frustrated if it cant be fixed and you 'might' purchase again later once your patience runs out.

As I mentioned above, the car electronics industry moves quickly so hopefully there'll be products for the E39/E46/E38/E53 !

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi,

Yes, the Avin and some other units have a more pronounced curve at the top face of the unit as they were made for the E53 X5 cars. Some people install them in the E39 and it looks look well off but they seem happy for it looking like that as quite often, the rest of the unit makes them pull their hair out with problems/issues etc.
I have been told by a guy that has an Eonon lately to buy the Dynavin unit. I've contacted Jeff a couple of days ago and he replied back recommending the right screen for me which is the N6, so I guess that it's the only screen between them that I'm feeling more comfortable with. :dunno:

·
Registered
717 Posts
I've looked for the Eonon and the Avin avant-2 , they both have a curve on the top which makes the car look weird. I am sorry if I'm being so worried about this whole thing. The idea of the screens is just great, but it's so difficult to find the perfect one.
They either have problems, different outer design or just made more for the apple devices. :mad:

EDIT: and how about "Hizpo:? I found one but I'm not sure if it's great for using or not.. any of you have any knowledge of this? Should I buy it and give it a try? :D
Just installed Eonon D5201Z (non-Android). Upgraded from their 2nd Gen unit (3 years ago). This newer version fits perfectly. You can pre-order Android one now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts