BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
what does this button do?
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to buy a slightly used set of shocks, springs and bump arrestors from a 540i sport to replace the existing stock suspension in my 540i non-sport. Just wondering what I can expect ride-wise from the switch and if the sport suspension will change the stance and/or ride height of the car as compared to the stock suspension.

Any comments appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
629 Posts
The sport springs are a little lower compared to non-sport. Personally, I would spend the money and upgrade to Koni or Blistein shock absorders. The OE shocks last around 50K miles and since you going to spend the money to have them shocks put in why not spend the extra money to do it right unless of course you are DIY or not planning to keep the car for a long time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You'll get more 'road feel', obviously. One big thing to keep in mind, since the car will be sitting lower: watch parking at bumper stops/curbs. I've replaced my air dam 3 times in 5 years due to parking over these - easy enough to pull in, but the air dam really dislikes being draggged backward over these. You'll hear it scrape, and cringe. Just remember to keep back a bit when parking.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Difference in ride ht is 0.8/0.5, F/R. The factory Sport set-up also includes stiffer bars. It will handle noticably better. Ride will be a bit stiffer but most people like that feel. If the Sport shocks do not have a lot of miles, and you need to pich pennies, use them. I've used both Bilstein and Koni. I would not spend the extra for Konis. Go with Bilstein. If you are very concerned with ride go with Bilstein's touring shock or a Sach replacement. Next step up on Bilstein ladder will be the HDs. Again if you are woried about ride do not go there. They will be stiffer and unless you like a stiffer ride you will not like them.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
i'm thinking about going with a full Eibach kit (springs, shocks, struts, sways) next month. the sport suspension kit is nice but i need something a little more aggressive.

·
what does this button do?
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the specs on the ride height change. Am I correct in assuming that this is largely due to the sport springs?

I got the entire sport suspension for $130, it has around 40k miles on it. The original owner upgraded to a dinan and claimed he wasn't having any problem with the units. The OE shocks don't seem to be leaking yet but it seems they may not have much time left from others experience? Can these be serviced at all?

As for my existing suspension kit, my 97 has about 130k miles on it and I got it around 5k miles ago as 3rd owner. The front shocks where replaced about 30k miles ago, but I can't tell with what (probably OE non-sport). I have no record of the rears every being replaced and assume they are stock OE non-sport.

I am already in the process of replacing the front control arms/thrust rods/sway links and tie rods ends and I figure why not just get uniform shocks/springs all the way around at this point and at that price ...

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
z0lt3c said:
Thanks for the specs on the ride height change. Am I correct in assuming that this is largely due to the sport springs?

I got the entire sport suspension for $130, it has around 40k miles on it. The original owner upgraded to a dinan and claimed he wasn't having any problem with the units. The OE shocks don't seem to be leaking yet but it seems they may not have much time left from others experience? Can these be serviced at all?

As for my existing suspension kit, my 97 has about 130k miles on it and I got it around 5k miles ago as 3rd owner. The front shocks where replaced about 30k miles ago, but I can't tell with what (probably OE non-sport). I have no record of the rears every being replaced and assume they are stock OE non-sport.

I am already in the process of replacing the front control arms/thrust rods/sway links and tie rods ends and I figure why not just get uniform shocks/springs all the way around at this point and at that price ...
Ride ht is all springs. Can not service factory shocks. I would replace shocks.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
chivas said:
i'm thinking about going with a full Eibach kit (springs, shocks, struts, sways) next month. the sport suspension kit is nice but i need something a little more aggressive.
I have Eibach Pro springs installed on my 540 Sport. The Eibach Pro springs are softer than factory sport springs. I wish someone had told me that before I went to Eibach so I'm letting you know.

If your car was non-sport to begin with the Eibach Pro springs will be a little stiffer. But if you were on factory sport springs Eibach Pro will feel softer.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
franka said:
I have Eibach Pro springs installed on my 540 Sport. The Eibach Pro springs are softer than factory sport springs. I wish someone had told me that before I went to Eibach so I'm letting you know.

If your car was non-sport to begin with the Eibach Pro springs will be a little stiffer. But if you were on factory sport springs Eibach Pro will feel softer.
thanks for the heads up...

crap.. that's not going to work. well, springs doesn't really go bad (do they?) so i think i'll do the eibach shocks/struts with sport springs. how's that combo?

what i really want are the eibach sway bars!

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
chivas said:
thanks for the heads up...

crap.. that's not going to work. well, springs doesn't really go bad (do they?) so i think i'll do the eibach shocks/struts with sport springs. how's that combo?

what i really want are the eibach sway bars!
That should work well but your ride ht with factory sport springs will be 0.7/0.5 higher than with Eibach Pro but still 0.8/0.5 lower than a factory non-sport.

I have a set of the Eibach bars at home. Need to get them on the car. They will take out much of the lean in turns. Eibach's bars are the largest out there, larger than Dinan.

The torsion equations are to the 3rd or 4th power of the diameter which means any increase in diameter, even if small like 2mm, will have a larger effect than one would think. For example going from a 25mm to 27mm diameter bar will have at least a 26% increase in stiffness. That's using the 3rd power. If 4th power it will be more.

27x27x27 / 25x25x25 = 1.26 = 26% increase

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
franka said:
That should work well but your ride ht with factory sport springs will be 0.7/0.5 higher than with Eibach Pro but still 0.8/0.5 lower than a factory non-sport.

I have a set of the Eibach bars at home. Need to get them on the car. They will take out much of the lean in turns. Eibach's bars are the largest out there, larger than Dinan.

The torsion equations are to the 3rd or 4th power of the diameter which means any increase in diameter, even if small like 2mm, will have a larger effect than one would think. For example going from a 25mm to 27mm diameter bar will have at least a 26% increase in stiffness. That's using the 3rd power. If 4th power it will be more.

27x27x27 / 25x25x25 = 1.26 = 26% increase
exactly... i guess you got the whole eibach kit huh?

i might just get the kit and sell the springs. what i really need are shocks/struts and really WANT the sways as you said, they are the thickest available for 540's.

want to sell me yours? :D :D :D

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
chivas said:
exactly... i guess you got the whole eibach kit huh?

i might just get the kit and sell the springs. what i really need are shocks/struts and really WANT the sways as you said, they are the thickest available for 540's.

want to sell me yours? :D :D :D
Actually I did not buy the whole kit. Decided to go the bar route later and after some research found that the Eibach bars are the largest diameter.

Good luck with your project.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
franka said:
Actually I did not buy the whole kit. Decided to go the bar route later and after some research found that the Eibach bars are the largest diameter.

Good luck with your project.
i take that as a No.. :D

where did you get just the sways and how much were they?

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
chivas said:
i take that as a No.. :D

where did you get just the sways and how much were they?
I was all over the internet to find anyone that had them in stock. Most, like 99%, were out of stock. I was lucky to find the last set this distributor had. I can't recall who that was though because I called so many. I'll have to look at my invoice at home and let you know tonite or tomorrow.

A friend, also with a 540 Sport, bought Dinan because he couldn't find the Eibach bars anywhere. He bought their whole stage 2 suspension for $ 1400, normally $ 2200. Bars, springs, Koni shocks. He really was just looking for bars but couldn't pass up the deal.

We put in his bars at a DIY club day this past Saturday with the help of one of the shop's mechanics and a lift. The front bar is one hell of a job. It took us about 3 hours. Do not try it at home on your driveway, you will never get it out or in.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Where I got my bars and how much $$$

I got them from an online parts distributor called ASI for Anderson & Stiehle Inc in CA, 619.444.9766. The invoice shows an email address of [email protected] so they are tied into shox.com.

I paid $ 429 plus tax and shipping. The lowest price I found when shopping was $ 415 but those sites didn't have any in stock, so that price was irrelevant. I was lucky to get the last set. I tried to get a second set for my friend (the one that went Dinan) but one set was all they had.

·
Registered
265 Posts
FWIW - I have the Eibach Pro Springs on my 97 528i with the Bilstein Sport shocks / struts and I'm not very happy with them. The front sits too low, the rear not low enough. The car bounces all over the place on any less than smooth surface. [Which is a lot here in Calif.] At highway speeds below 60 it's bad too if there are any undulations in the road. *VERY annoying.* I'm seriously considering a switch to a factory Sport set up or possibly the Sachs/Boge performance kit with springs and shocks complete. I've heard some good things about them through a friend. [Anyone else have exp when the Boge Sachs kit?]

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
VCOUI said:
FWIW - I have the Eibach Pro Springs on my 97 528i with the Bilstein Sport shocks / struts and I'm not very happy with them. The front sits too low, the rear not low enough. The car bounces all over the place on any less than smooth surface. [Which is a lot here in Calif.] At highway speeds below 60 it's bad too if there are any undulations in the road. *VERY annoying.* I'm seriously considering a switch to a factory Sport set up or possibly the Sachs/Boge performance kit with springs and shocks complete. I've heard some good things about them through a friend. [Anyone else have exp when the Boge Sachs kit?]
It's a fool's game to diagnose a problem from far away and w/o driving the vehicle but I'm going to take a shot at it anyway.

I think the bouncing problem is not your springs but rather your shocks. I think your shocks are way too stiff for the soft Eibach springs. Yes Eibachs are soft. In fact they are softer than a factory sport spring. I know I have them on my factory sport 540.

I think the Bilstein SPs are way too stiff. If you could get your hands on a front pair of Bilstein HDs, or a front pair of Konis, from a friend, you could try them on the front only and see if that cures your problem. The trick is getting either of those shocks to try them out.

·
Registered
637 Posts
springs dont really wear out but they do break occasionally, latley i've seen a lot of e46's come in for service with a lot of broken coil springs. another good low cost mod is the m5 rear sway bar. just installed one on my car and it was worth every penny. it reduces body roll and factory understeer, the ass end also seems to feel more planted on the road, excellent mod for the $$. here's a link to the diagram of the part and the #'s, you need the bar and the 2 bushings(#1 and #2). http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DE93&mospid=47592&btnr=33_0517&hg=33&fg=45

1 - 19 of 19 Posts