BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Upgrading Standard Audio

8355 31
Unfortunately, I bought my 2013 328i off the lot and it did not have the H/K Audio System.
Currently looking into upgrading my system and have some questions.

I'm currently looking at getting a JL AUDIO XD600/6 to replace the OEM amp.

Now I have done an audio upgrade before on an e46 and remembered that I was having a hard time getting an aftermarket amp to work with the oem head unit. I used a hi lo converter back then (from what I remember). Would that be necessary or would the simple replacement of the amp take care of everything?

Next, I plan to replace the front speakers with POLK AUDIO DB501. Changing these wont be a problem..

Now, I haven't done enough research on what to replace the rear speakers and woofers. If anyone knows what might be preferable please let me know.
I don't care much for the center speaker. From my understanding, its a hassle to change and I've seen here and there that it is "useless".

Anyways, please shoot any suggestions. I want to know completely what i'm buying before I start changing this and that.

Thanks!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
The problem is the OEM amp, not so much the OEM speakers.

Replace the OEM amp directly with a JBL MS-8 and you will have a more adjustable to your taste and ultimately a better sounding system than the OEM HK.

No need to change OEM speakers.

Unfortunately, I bought my 2013 328i off the lot and it did not have the H/K Audio System.
Currently looking into upgrading my system and have some questions.

I'm currently looking at getting a JL AUDIO XD600/6 to replace the OEM amp.

Now I have done an audio upgrade before on an e46 and remembered that I was having a hard time getting an aftermarket amp to work with the oem head unit. I used a hi lo converter back then (from what I remember). Would that be necessary or would the simple replacement of the amp take care of everything?

Next, I plan to replace the front speakers with POLK AUDIO DB501. Changing these wont be a problem..

Now, I haven't done enough research on what to replace the rear speakers and woofers. If anyone knows what might be preferable please let me know.
I don't care much for the center speaker. From my understanding, its a hassle to change and I've seen here and there that it is "useless".

Anyways, please shoot any suggestions. I want to know completely what i'm buying before I start changing this and that.

Thanks!
I have been working with Integral Audio for months now on an F30 specific outfitting. I should have the production pcs installed in my car in April. Yu can check the site and look at the Mini offering as an indication as to what is planned for the F30. Everything is designed with acoustic measurements, data and engineering specifically for the F30...it's like getting fitted for a tailored suit vs buying off the rack. So that is a cool option.
I bet you lose a ton of information in the control display on stations and tracks if you replace the head unit. Better sound maybe, but you would lose a lot of functionality. The 2013 3 series HiFi unit is not bad really IMO.
The OP is not talking about replacing the iDrive unit, only everything else after it.
I bet you lose a ton of information in the control display on stations and tracks if you replace the head unit. Better sound maybe, but you would lose a lot of functionality. The 2013 3 series HiFi unit is not bad really IMO.
My car has the Factory audio. It isn't the HK. Upgrading just the amp will do? o_O
The problem is the OEM amp, not so much the OEM speakers.

Replace the OEM amp directly with a JBL MS-8 and you will have a more adjustable to your taste and ultimately a better sounding system than the OEM HK.

No need to change OEM speakers.
Standard F30 OEM audio system is HiFi, which it is analog. OEM amp can be replaced easily: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730390

The difference between that E90 install (Part 1) and your F30 is that yours requires a proper center channel presence via a 7th channel. Otherwise is exactly the same procedure. Unplug OEM amp and plug aftermarket amp/DSP.

The reason that your center channel may be lacking in presence and front stage is that it does not have a proper center channel DSP steering. After all, your system is analog -again.

The MS-8 is actually a Logic7 DSP processor and 8-channel amplifier. Pretty much a better and more user-adjustable HK OEM amp. And made by the same company.
My car has the Factory audio. It isn't the HK. Upgrading just the amp will do? o_O
How much do you think that would cost?
iDrive gets it's information from the head unit for radio, cd/dvd, satellite, volume and settings- so changing it "may" lose some functionality, maybe not- just a warning...
The OP is not talking about replacing the iDrive unit, only everything else after it.
The iDrive unit is the radio/Navigation.
iDrive gets it's information from the head unit for radio, cd/dvd, satellite, volume and settings- so changing it "may" lose some functionality, maybe not- just a warning...
About $550, depending on the price of the MS-8.
How much do you think that would cost?
All right, so I'll get the amp and test out the system. I'll let you guys know what the difference is once I do. Ill probably have the amp next week or so. Thanks for the info Technic.
Hey, any chance you got the amp installed yet?
I'd like to do the same and would like more feedback on the quality and ease of swap.
Thanks,
All right, so I'll get the amp and test out the system. I'll let you guys know what the difference is once I do. Ill probably have the amp next week or so. Thanks for the info Technic.
Same here. I'm also curious. Please share when you get it done. Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Hey, any chance you got the amp installed yet?
I'd like to do the same and would like more feedback on the quality and ease of swap.
Thanks,
updates??

I would love to swap out my stock AMP...I did the same thing with my Evo VIII, the stock speakers are usually fine, it's often the AMP that will impact the performance...:dunno:
I have been working with Integral Audio for months now on an F30 specific outfitting. I should have the production pcs installed in my car in April. Yu can check the site and look at the Mini offering as an indication as to what is planned for the F30. Everything is designed with acoustic measurements, data and engineering specifically for the F30...it's like getting fitted for a tailored suit vs buying off the rack. So that is a cool option.
Extremely curious as well.
also interested! HK wasn't a stand alone option on my order...had to get it in a package so I decided not to get it.
The sound stage is being installed mid may, then one more trip back for the subwoofer to be installed.
updates??

I would love to swap out my stock AMP...I did the same thing with my Evo VIII, the stock speakers are usually fine, it's often the AMP that will impact the performance...:dunno:
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.