Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking into buying a 5 series and, generally speaking I prefer the lighter interiors over the darker interiors at least from a cosmetic point of view. Do you know if they are hard to maintain in terms of keeping clean and, specifically, whether they absorb color from pants (jeans - color bleeding)? Thank you

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Yes, many jeans will transfer to Ivory and yes they can be treated and cleaned. Applying a ceramic coating will help protect and make cleaning easier.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I think BMW is applying a urethane coating to leather surfaces now. Would that be enough to prevent color transfer?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I think BMW is applying a urethane coating to leather surfaces now. Would that be enough to prevent color transfer?
No. Not on my 2018 Ivory M550. It is manageable however and just requires regular cleaning and is helped by applying a protective coring which will minimize, not stop, jean transfer.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Farts remove denim dyes. Buy it, you'll like it! :)

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,636 Posts
I put 80,000 miles on my X5 35D with Oyster Multi-function (aka "Luxury") seats. 2 dogs, 2 teenagers, said teenagers' friends, and literally no leather care other than the occasional vacuuming. The seats looked brand new when the lease was up.

Of course, the kids wore good old Levi's or LL Bean Jeans - not the fancy schmantzy $100 designer jeans that bleed dye everywhere.

·
6 RINGS
8,447 Posts
I have ivory Napa and sit on a small blanket if jeans are worn

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,636 Posts
I have ivory Napa and sit on a small blanket if jeans are worn
One of these? (No other use for it till next September):

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I wear jeans all the time - some inexpensive others more expensive; I always wash before wearing and don't remember having any bleed / transfer to my beige Dakota leather. And I have found that a good interior detail spray, after vacuuming any dust etc, is all that is necessary to keep them in good condition. Yes, the new leathers are coated so detail leather treatments aren't likely to soak in as in the older style leathers.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
your first decision is bettween nappa and dakota. I had Dakota in my former 330e and have nappa now in my 530e. I much prefer the Nappa but it is more delicate than the Dakota. The nappa provides a very nice finish.

I wanted the caramel black full Merino but couldn't wait for the special order so I went with the Mocha nappa. I would have preferred the white nappa but chickened out on keeping it nice.

Having said that, I would still prefer the Caramel Black or Tartufo individual merino but the mocha nappa is very, very nice. Especially if you pair it with the leather dash and the MSport steering wheel. The same would apply to any nappa. If you get nappa, and order the leather dash, the dash and door tops are black nappa (or at least it feels like nappa and looks like nappa).

You will have to pay a bit more attention if you go with the white, especially the white nappa (the Dakota is sturdier). In addition to keeping my seats as nice as I can while I drive, I also made a decision to have the interior detailed once a year; just had it done. I could do it myself but I remember the principle of comparative advantage that I studied in economics and I prefer to hire someone to do it who will do it better than me.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I wear denim almost exclusively and haven't noticed any bleed.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I wear denim almost exclusively and haven't noticed any bleed.
Consider yourself lucky or wearing the right denim. Both of my white leather interior cars have had transfer issues. Although I don't wear Walmart sale bin jeans, they are also not three figure "designer" jeans.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Consider yourself lucky or wearing the right denim. Both of my white leather interior cars have had transfer issues. Although I don't wear Walmart sale bin jeans, they are also not three figure "designer" jeans.
Bought GYEON Quartz LeatherShield in anticipation of that but haven't had to open it.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Bought GYEON Quartz LeatherShield in anticipation of that but haven't had to open it.
Smart purchase. If you do use it, it is very easy to apply and may also help with other spills or staining that could occur. I also use their Cleaner to then remove any blue transfer as needed.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I suspect that Dakota leather is much more resistant to staining than Nappa or Merino. I also suspect that Dakota can be cleaned more easily as it is less porous.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I suspect that Dakota leather is much more resistant to staining than Nappa or Merino. I also suspect that Dakota can be cleaned more easily as it is less porous.
What makes Dakota more resistant to staining also makes it more difficult to remove stains if they happen. The nappa is easy to get stains out of if they happen. I haven***8217;t had any stains on my G30. Had a few on my 21 year old E36 M3 and used leatherique to get rid of them. The leather in that car looks and just as good as my 2017 530 even though it***8217;s 19 years older. Nappa holds up well and I have no hesitation getting it again and keeping it clean

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi, I am looking into buying a 5 series and, generally speaking I prefer the lighter interiors over the darker interiors at least from a cosmetic point of view. Do you know if they are hard to maintain in terms of keeping clean and, specifically, whether they absorb color from pants (jeans - color bleeding)? Thank you

I have a 2019 X5 with Ivory colored seats for a loaner and had denim transferred twice in a month. It came right off after cleaning. It is beautiful, just requires more cleaning than the darker colors.

Yes, my 2018 M550 has been in the shop for over a month but that is a another story for another time

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have Ivory Dakota and it looks great even though it clearly shows dirt more than the darker colours. I haven't noticed any dye transfer from my jeans although that may depend on the type of jeans you have. I just use soap and water to clean the seats as I really haven't found anything that works any better. I've had two BMWs with light Dakota and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. It's very tough and durable, looks good and is comfortable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts