BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Can anyone help identify what this broken part is? My hose came loose aND came off.this looks to be the reason why?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Replace your upper radiator hose. It's all (supposed to be) one unit.

·
Registered
12,525 Posts
OMG...turn down the image size on your camera! Your pics are so huge I can't see anything. Its like sitting 2 inches away from a movie cinema screen. The forum works well with image sizes that ar 800x600 or smaller. Or use a photo app to reduce image size if you're wanting to post them on the forum. :)

This info should be easy to find...just go to realoem.com or bmwfans.info and enter your car's info and pull up the radiator & engine cooling hoses diagrams.

·
2000 M5
810 Posts
Holly picture size batman!

Yes upper rad hose. But I would do them both as the lower is probably in similar condition.

I would also recommend considering changing all of the cooling hoses. At some point they are all going to pop like that and leave you on the side of the road.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Like others have said, replace, at a minimum, the upper radiator hose. That screw clamp should not be there. If you happened to put it there then shame on you!!!

·
Registered
12,525 Posts
You people need to get larger screens... those are majestic! More high-res carnage!
Yes...they are so "majestic" that whatever was in the images were lost on my tablet & smartphone. :bustingup I couldn't scroll and shrink enough to find what was being asked...not everyone has the luxury of being on their desktop CPU hooked up to a 32"-85" screen when on the forum. I bet the images are fabulous if your looking at them on a big screen. :D

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I don't recognize the screw threads with the teflon tape or epoxy or what ever that slime is on it. IMO, replace all the rad hoses. I have been buying them at a combination of advanced auto and Orileys. The price for one hose is cheaper at advance, and another one may be cheaper at Orileys but been paying round $18 - $20+/hose. You are likely to need a new radiator not too far down the road. Also, I'd throw that plastic fan in the trash before it comes apart and takes out a bunch of stuff. They do that you know, come apart like a cardboard house in a hurricane. :eeps:

Jim

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
OMG...turn down the image size on your camera! Your pics are so huge I can't see anything. Its like sitting 2 inches away from a movie cinema screen. The forum works well with image sizes that ar 800x600 or smaller. Or use a photo app to reduce image size if you're wanting to post them on the forum. :)
You (poster) can always scale them using the
[ oimg = ###] image URL [ / oimg ] function (delete the spaces)
if you don't want to mess with resizing on the computer. Samples below.

Oimg = 100

Oimg = 400

Oimg = 800

·
Registered
12,525 Posts
You (poster) can always scale them using the
[ oimg = ###] image URL [ / oimg ] function (delete the spaces)
if you don't want to mess with resizing on the computer. Samples below.
That's a great HTML tip...definitely adding that to my mental rolodex since I tend to type the HTML tags myself when I''m inserting images or creating lists or indenting (instead of using the shortcuts)! :thumbup:

{practice}
oimg=100

oimg=300

oimg=600

{/practice} :D

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yes...they are so "majestic" that whatever was in the images were lost on my tablet & smartphone. :bustingup I couldn't scroll and shrink enough to find what was being asked...
That's probably why you didn't reply to my PM... :sulk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Okay sorry for the picture size. I didn't realize how big they were. lol

I hear you and will replace the hoses and get rid of the plastic fan. but what is the part called that it connects to that is broken? The diagram doesn't have it labeled. Is it possible to replace that small part or is it part of something bigger?

EDIT: nvm I see now that it's part of the actual hose. I must have skimmed over that sorrry. Thanks for all your help guys.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Okay sorry for the picture size. I didn't realize how big they were. lol

I hear you and will replace the hoses and get rid of the plastic fan. but what is the part called that it connects to that is broken? The diagram doesn't have it labeled. Is it possible to replace that small part or is it part of something bigger?

EDIT: nvm I see now that it's part of the actual hose. I must have skimmed over that sorrry. Thanks for all your help guys.
If you do some shopping you can find direct fit hoses quite inexpensively these days. No need to use ad-hock hoses and hose clamps. No need to pay BMW $100 per hose anymore either.

Don't forget to throw that old plastic fan in the trash too! They to come apart and make a big mess. Trust me, I learned that the hard way. :(

Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts