BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I spoke with my salesman at Peter Pan BMW in San Mateo, CA.

He told me that the 335i-D will come to the US in the summer of 2008. The engine will be a twin turbo. The X5 will share the same engine and come at the same time.

He also told me that "summer" means Q3 at the latest.

Additionally, I was told that the Sports Package would be available on the diesel three.

This guy has been one of the top salesmen in the US for years. He's never had wrong info so far.

PM me if you'd like his contact info.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
how about for the e93? thats not even available in Europe.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was told 330d, not 335d, RWD only.. I also googled for BMW diesel 2008 and
found mention of X5 and 330d.. would be good to get more sources.

i think both the 330d and 335d has the same 3.0 engine but the 335d
has more boost pressure and more torque

·
Banned
561 Posts

·
Registered
2007 328 cabrio. 2018 X3 M40i
186 Posts
Can we bet on how many problems that engine will have? The diesel fuel in US isn't clean enough for the modern diesel engines.
I own two Jetta diesels that I have put over 100k on each on US diesel fuel. Today's fuel is much cleaner than it once was and these BMWs will have no problems with the fuel. The turbos however are usually an issue before other general engine components.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Can we bet on how many problems that engine will have? The diesel fuel in US isn't clean enough for the modern diesel engines.
The production of ultra low sulfur diesel was required starting in late 2006. The fuels here are now consistent with what is found in Europe.

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
"Can we bet on how many problems that engine will have? The diesel fuel in US isn't clean enough for the modern diesel engines."

Ah like NON.
All Diesel since 2007 has to be 15 ppm Sulfer and that makes it as clean as anything you find in Europe. However my 99 Ford Super Duty has run fine on the 500 ppm for 8 years now and 156K miles so I expect zero issues with this vehicle except in places that get below -30 and the fuel jells...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel can still be a little tricky to find, but it's mandated I believe at 80% of total production by 2008? Anyway, yes - it's as clean as ULSD found anyhwere else in the world (15ppm or less). That was the big delay in getting the good common rail diesel motors here - along with emissions hurdles and US perception in general. Go drive a M-B E320 Buetec. 400 ft lbs of torque makes for a very quick sedan!

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
I thought I was the only one who stopped reading at that point....
I spoke with my dealer at Mickey Mouse BMW and they confirmed...

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel can still be a little tricky to find, but it's mandated I believe at 80% of total production by 2008? Anyway, yes - it's as clean as ULSD found anyhwere else in the world (15ppm or less). That was the big delay in getting the good common rail diesel motors here - along with emissions hurdles and US perception in general. Go drive a M-B E320 Buetec. 400 ft lbs of torque makes for a very quick sedan!
This page appears to be fairly definitive with respect to availability and labeling: http://www.clean-diesel.org/highway.html. It looks like all highway diesel currently for sale in California is ultra low sulfur diesel and has been since July 2006.

·
Banned
561 Posts
I spoke with my dealer at Mickey Mouse BMW and they confirmed...
:rofl::rofl:

WOW gorgeous blonde with great **** AND funny... you must be a mirage.

You are the gal in the picture right?

:confused:

·
Audi-Bimmer Fan
1,104 Posts
Peter-Pan is a joke. Worst dealership ever, I don't even know how they manage to stay in business. The salesman told me to take the 335i coupe at face value because its that good and you shouldn't need a test drive. He then presents me with order sheet...I just turned around and walked out the door.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
The Ultra Low Sulfur diesel fuel was phased in last year in the US.

I'm still a bit skeptical on the validity, but if it comes out, that'll be cool.

·
Banned
561 Posts
Peter-Pan is a joke. Worst dealership ever, I don't even know how they manage to stay in business. The salesman told me to take the 335i coupe at face value because its that good and you shouldn't need a test drive. He then presents me with order sheet...I just turned around and walked out the door.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Dealersh1ts.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Not true anymore. 07 Diesel regs made the Diesel in the US cleaner than Europe now. Along with more strict EPA ratings on Diesels in the US for 07. that's why VW and others didn't have a diesel for 07. Everyone is waiting for the new clean Diesels out in 08 and 09 from several new manufactures like BMW and Honda as well as others.

By the way I work for one of the large Oil companies, I am very failure with the new Diesel specs.

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Along with more strict EPA ratings on Diesels in the US for 07. that's why VW and others didn't have a diesel for 07.
You mean - that is why some manufacturers did not have 50-state legal Diesel models in 2007.

And the "why" is because the Diesel engines must pass the same emmission norms as gasoline cars, which with current Diesel technology requires injecting additives such as urea in the exhaust tract. At which solution the CA pollution board balked a little bit, because the urea additive is something that must be replenished periodically (say once per year) and they were afraid people would simply not do it out of laziness.

BMW on the other hand wants to sell 50 state legal Diesel cars here - I still don't have a good understanding on how they are going to accomplish this.

·
Registered
725 Posts
You mean - that is why some manufacturers did not have 50-state legal Diesel models in 2007.

And the "why" is because the Diesel engines must pass the same emmission norms as gasoline cars, which with current Diesel technology requires injecting additives such as urea in the exhaust tract. At which solution the CA pollution board balked a little bit, because the urea additive is something that must be replenished periodically (say once per year) and they were afraid people would simply not do it out of laziness.

BMW on the other hand wants to sell 50 state legal Diesel cars here - I still don't have a good understanding on how they are going to accomplish this.
Yes I ment no diesels in the US from VW and others.

Honda and a few other makers have clean 50 state Diesels that won't need the Urea injection that as mention needs to be refilled. Not sure if BMW has solved this issue as well. Mercedes, VW and others have co-designed what they call the bluetec Diesel, but there design does require the Urea injection to help pass US emissions.

I have been driving my 05 VW Jetta on 100% Bio Diesel for the past two years, and averaging just under 40 mpg. So far so good and it's about 10 cents per gallon less than diesel. It would be the iceing on the cake if the BMW diesels allowd the use of bio diesel as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
335d is confirmed for NA. 330d is not. The 335d wont be available until the 09' model year. My dealership in Edmonton is confirming when I can do an ED on it. He figures earliest I'd want to go would be spring 09'. They aren't sure when the production will start, but I figure Sept. 08.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts