Bimmerfest BMW banner

261 - 262 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
How so? Did the female allen hex round out? Mine was quite rusty and rust-rounded, so I'd welded a nut to it to remove it. Use a GM drain plug for an of their 6 speed transmissions (get one at the auto parts store) and cut the smooth, non-threaded end off it (that is beyond the threads) and use that. It has an honest 14mm bolt head for easy removals in the future, and an integral rubber o-ring for sealing. An 8 mm allen is too small to apply much torque when they corrode.
Yes, you were right. The drain plug is rusty like **** and get rounded. I tried to un-screw it and it was totally rounded.

Wait a minute, I used a star bit, maybe I should try hex bit. It is cold here now, wait till the weather is warmer. Thank.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I wouldn't use that.
Use Mercon in a GM trans, it'll blow. Use Dex in a Ford trans, it'll blow. That stuff is approved for both transmissions, which means it isn't great for either transmission.

I got a case of Valvoline Dex 6 (NOT the one posted... the one I got isn't Mercon compatible) from Advance Auto online for the same price or cheaper IIRC recently, and that's what currently is in my Silverado. In a few thousand miles when the E83 is due for a filter/drain/fill, it'll receive the same. The Valvoline Dex 6 is full synthetic, whereas the Castrol Dex 6 is only semi-synthetic IIRC.
Ahhh... I saw that Valvoline recently changed their packaging (actually on all their tranny fluids). I didn't realize they now had a Dexron VI/Mercon formula now.

Walmart has the old formula Dex VI for the same price $5.48

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-Dexron-VI-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-Quart/153429990?athcpid=153429990&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVAV&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=49d50404-d1d-16f5a214c6f5c2&athancid=null&athena=true

I wonder if the old Valvoline Dex VI formula will be replaced by this new formula.

I

261 - 262 of 262 Posts