BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2008 535i Owners Manual states that the information from up to 4 USB devices can be stored in memory, for a total of approximately 20,000 tracks. I alternate between a couple USB memory sticks, each which has between 800 and 900 selections. When I use the 'Random' function, the player appears to select only about 12-15 songs and then randomly plays only those songs. Is this normal or should it be randomly playing all 800+ songs?

Is there a solution to this problem?

·
Registered
824 Posts
I got excited when I read that as well. I remember thinking how cool it was that it had a hard drive for music. I haven't since experienced anything similar to that description, and I figure it's just another area of the manual that is ambiguous at best.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The 2008 535i Owners Manual states that the information from up to 4 USB devices can be stored in memory, for a total of approximately 20,000 tracks. I alternate between a couple USB memory sticks, each which has between 800 and 900 selections. When I use the 'Random' function, the player appears to select only about 12-15 songs and then randomly plays only those songs. Is this normal or should it be randomly playing all 800+ songs?

Is there a solution to this problem?
At what 'level' in the file hierarchy are you when you select random ? I suspect you are NOT at the 'top' level' and therfore it is playing randomly within the folder you are 'in' that has just a few songs ?? However.....this is juts a guess.

One of the best features on my ipod hooked up to my alpine in my current E34 is that it will randomly play any song on the ipod.....I really hope this extends into my "delivered tomorrow" E61 when I hook up my ipod (I took the ipod option). I am not too hopeful though as it seems my wifes mini with ipod connexion struggles to do this - or it may just be I've oinly been in the mini about 5 times and still havent figured the controls out....

all will be revealed tomorrow though !!!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At what 'level' in the file hierarchy are you when you select random ? I suspect you are NOT at the 'top' level' and therfore it is playing randomly within the folder you are 'in' that has just a few songs ?? However.....this is juts a guess.
I've tried organizing the songs in folders and also in a single folder. Currently I have 880 songs that show in the directory alphabetically by artist in a single directory. It plays randomly through about a dozen songs from the entire list. It appears to chose one song as its favorite and plays that about every 4th selection. Every time I reselect the random function it will select a different group of random songs from the list.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts