BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a used f30 as my first BMW, and am hoping to get some input from other drivers on two cars that I have found. The cars are both about 3 hours away in opposite directions, which unfortunately makes it tough to directly compare myself.

Car 1:
2013 328i - $20,000
Luxury line with all the goodies. 58,000 miles but is priced well I believe.

Car 2:
2013 320i - $22,800
Comes with sports and lighting package which are big advantages to this car, as well as it's low miles at only 26,000. But there is no sunroof; very disappointing and I worry about resale.

So my questions are:
Will the sportier m suspension on the 320i provide a noticeably more enjoyable ride than the standard suspension on the 328i? Enough to offset the reduction in power?
Will I miss all the extra features if I go with the 320i? (The navigation, the heads up display, sunroof...)
Should I be worried about the mileage of the 328i be a bit higher than average, even though it has been well maintained at the dealership it was purchased at?

Thanks for reading this over. I know the obvious answer is to just go and test out both vehicles, but the fact that I have to make trips out to see each of them makes it difficult to schedule multiple trips around work and life itself.
Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
8,038 Posts
Difficult choices. I think when you drive them you will find the Luxury line with the standard suspension will be disappointing and the seats will be as well. You can make back some of the power deficit with a tune which is inexpensive. Others can give you more info. The 320 will also be under warranty. As far as the sunroof, that's up to you. I've never bought a car where I was concerned about resale.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point about the sport seats. Do you find the sport suspension is comfortable for daily driving?
Overall, I think I'm leaning towards the 320i (I love the look of the xenons), but the price on the 328i is just really hard to pass up

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Good point about the sport seats. Do you find the sport suspension is comfortable for daily driving?
Overall, I think I'm leaning towards the 320i (I love the look of the xenons), but the price on the 328i is just really hard to pass up
My 2013 335 had the static sport suspension (704). I dont know if its the same exact suspension that comes with the 320, but I suspect so.

I thought it was comfortable enough for daily driving, however my mom and wife both felt a little uncomfortable in my car whenever I would drive. My wife had a 5 series AH5 (active Hybrid) without the sport suspension, and it felt pretty floaty to me comparatively. It was fine for cruising on the freeway or for long distances, but was not very "fun" for me to drive as it were.

My 335 WAS "fun" for me to drive, even though I felt the suspension was a little stiff on bad roads, which there are plenty of around me.

If it were me, and I were trying to make your choice, I would choose the sport suspension over the additional horsepower. You can always feel the suspension, but you can not always use extra horses... and you can add most of those horses back fairly easily with a tune if you wish.

Couple that with the car having much fewer miles, and for me the choice is pretty clear that the 320 would be a choice.. That is, if I DIDNT find it debadged, and with a fancy non OEM exhaust etc on it.

If it had ANY look that was modified from stock, I wouldnt buy it. I feel like I am on an island on this sometimes, but If that car has an after market exhaust, or any other indication that it might have been owned by an enthusiast type person, I would NOT want it, personally. I want as close to the "person commuting to work with easy miles" as I could get, and if someone takes the time to put any sort of add ons on it, they were likely not babying it, if you know what I mean. Just my opinion and not necessarily a popular one.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Car 1:
2013 328i - $20,000
Luxury line with all the goodies. 58,000 miles but is priced well I believe.
Can you define "all the goodies"? What packages does the 328i have. Without knowing the packages and seeing that it is out of warranty with plenty of miles on it already, I wouldn't consider a $2.8k difference "really hard to pass up". Already I can tell that without the xenons the 328i doesn't have the Lighting pkg.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,810 Posts
If you have them post links to the two cars so we can take a closer look at them. Leatherette/Sensatec is okay, but I'm pretty heavily biased toward leather. If the 320i lacks leather I would be really torn, because I value the sport pkg a lot, too, and xenon headlights, but with prices being so close I'd have a hard time turning down the more powerful motor. This choice would be really hard for me to make.

·
Jayhawk Fan
1,834 Posts
I've never bought a car where I was concerned about resale.
I agree with this statement. Most people are buying cars for a minimum of 3 years with quite a few holding on to them a lot longer. This is something you'll live with every day.

If you are into mods, then the 320 seems like the choice. If not, then the 328. I'd have a hard time giving day to day with that 320 engine. Unlike others, even though I'm not using all the HP all the time, it's nice to know they are there when I need them (or just want them).

·
Super Moderator
8,038 Posts
The 704 suspension is firm but comfortable. It rides better than my last BMW, a 2011 328 with the base suspension.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies, everybody. I think feeling the difference in power and suspension are my two biggest concerns, so maybe at this point the best thing for me to do might be to go in to my local dealership and try to test drive a couple cars that most closely relate to these two that I'm looking at.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,810 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, everybody. I think feeling the difference in power and suspension are my two biggest concerns, so maybe at this point the best thing for me to do might be to go in to my local dealership and try to test drive a couple cars that most closely relate to these two that I'm looking at.
Do you have links? Is the Luxury line car at a private party in NC?

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,810 Posts
That M Sport is very tempting. Have you read anything about the dealership that has it? The Luxury line model looks really nice, too. And well cared for.

If the M Sport holds up to some scrutiny I think it's the choice.

So, you've moved off of leasing a brand new 320i?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That M Sport is very tempting. Have you read anything about the dealership that has it? The Luxury line model looks really nice, too. And well cared for.

If the M Sport holds up to some scrutiny I think it's the choice.

So, you've moved off of leasing a brand new 320i?
The M Sport is VERY tempting. I love the Estoril blue. Reviews of the dealership on google are all positive, so I may be planning a road trip over the weekend.

And yes, I was looking into leasing because I liked the idea of any problems that arise being taken care of under factory warranty. After some research, however, the F30 seems to be a fairly reliable vehicle so I'm thinking I'd rather own my BMW outright if I'm not going to have to worry to much.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was thinking most of those are out of warranty or near out of warranty.

I just recently bought a 2013 for a great price at a local BMW dealership and it's CPO. That helps take the guess work out of buying at non-bmw locales. It also gives me a little peace of mind over buying out of warranty... never know what the previous owner really did. But that M-Sport DOES look nice, so there's that!

·
Registered
58 Posts
M sport suspension is perfectly fine for daily driving. In fact, it's softer than sport suspension in my previous 2001 330i.

M sport looks like a decent deal. Depending on its original sale date you may have some 4yr/50k warranty left, in which case just have BMW dealer fix whatever bothers you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts