BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this has been discussed already, but I've been searching around here and can't find a definitive answer. My e46 ZHP got totalled 2 weeks ago (RIP) and I've found an '07 e90 that I really like. Couple of things I'm trying to figure out:

1) It does not have IDrive nor a USB/Ipod port in the console. Can I purchase an after-market Ipod integration kit? I want control of the Ipod through the radio controls, not just the AUX in. I had one in my ZHP that used the CD changer port in the trunk and it worked great.

2) I test drove another car at the stealership this past weekend, and asked the salesman about the sound system. He said that cars that did not have IDrive did not have the Logic 7 system as an option. This was news to me, and I think he's full of ****. Is he? If not, how do you tell from pics if the car is logic 7? Does the speaker in the front door corner/window mean anything?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks! :thumbup:

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think all 335s in 2007 and 2008 came with logic 7 standard. It was a 328 option. The other way to tell is in radio options, I think you can find settings for a Logic 7 surround mode that would only be present if you have the Logic 7. I'm not aware of a way to tell from pictures or by looking at speakers.

As for ipod integration, even in cars that didn't come with it, the dealer can also install it for about $400. To be honest, though, I think the BMW ipod integration is pretty crappy. It takes forever to scroll though the lists (I think it takes like 2 minutes to scroll though my artists list), and it cuts out all the time, necessitating unplugging and plugging back in (I think the cable used in the ipod integration is pretty bad). You might be happier just going aftermarket -- I think I'd seriously consider that if I had it to do over.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I purchased the car this weekend, but I don't think it has Logic 7, even though the dealer says it does. I have no idea how to tell, but I'm pretty damned sure there's no sub hiding away somewhere, the bass is pretty lacking. I also am only able to count 7 speakers. Wonder how difficult it would be to upgrade to a system that sounds as good as Logic 7.

I am still confused as hell about the iPod integration. I do NOT have IDrive, but I do have a USB port in both the center console/armrest as well as the glovebox. When I plug the iPod directly into the USB port in the console, I don't get control through the radio controls, it just accesses it like a hard drive. Lame.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,824 Posts
He is full of it. Logic7 was a standalone option on 328s. Does you're new car have a speaker in the middle of the dash, between those two air vents? If it does you have Logic7. Congrats on your new acquisition.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is full of it. Logic7 was a standalone option on 328s. Does you're new car have a speaker in the middle of the dash, between those two air vents? If it does you have Logic7. Congrats on your new acquisition.
Hey there, weird seeing your avatar w/o Imola! It's amazing how difficult it is to figure out this Logic 7 and iPod mess, but through searching I also came up with that result. Turns out I have the center speaker, as well as EQ settings in the Audio menu, so I guess I do have Logic 7 afterall. Going to use the recommended EQ settings from a sticky over on E90Post and see how that sounds. Hopefully that does the trick, because other than the sound currently, my new acquisition is amazing! :thumbup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a pretty good aftermarket IPOD integration IMHO. I too find the BMW native IPOD integration (non IDRIVE) one slow IMHO...Like the above said takes forever to scroll through albums and lists and songs....Nothing would beat the speed of the IPOD touch...This is what I use.....

http://ca.kensington.com/html/14651.html

I have the ipod mounted with a dedicated mount from

http://www.proclipworld.com/

PM me if you want to see my setup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts