BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after more than two months of searching for the right car with the right price, I found a 2011 e90 with 48k miles on it, for about CAD19,450. Yes, it's a good deal considering that it's loaded with nav and a nice set of 19" rims. Cars in great condition from inside and outside. Got the carfax and it states that it's had two prior accidents. First collision was at the rear center and costed $1640 to fix. Second damage was to the front center for about $10,400 (yikes). The used car dealer tells me he spoke to the BMW authorized dealer that fixed the car up and was informed that there was no structural damage to the car. A police report was filed for the second accident. I couldn't see anything odd about the car, the repair work was immaculate, minor scratches around door handles, no damage visible to the rear or front. Next I call up a few mechanics and try to book an independent inspection for the car.

Now, the dealers giving me free labor for 5 years with replaced brake pads and rotors, and I'm getting an extended 4 year warranty on the car ($90 deductible). Not getting the free labor deal anywhere else in my area.

My question is, IF there is no structural damage to the vehicle, would it be worth it to pull the trigger? Any structural damage = I move on. For the price, it's a good deal. Other cars with same mileage and trim are selling for about $3k-4K more. I don't really care about its resale value, gonna hold onto it for the next 4-5 years, by then it won't be worth much anyway.

·
Registered
257 Posts
How do you know there was no structural damage? A $10,400 repair to the front end is substantial.
You believe the dealer that has the car for sale? Would they not say anything verbally to sell the car?
Why do you think the price is so good?
If you must have it, before you buy - take it to an independent BMW shop and have them perform a pre-purchase inspection.

·
Registered
660 Posts
BMW dealer selling it? If so I might buy it with the written consent that they won't penalize me in 4yrs when I trade it in. I bought a Wrnagler with minor rear collision repported when it was like a month old. You can tell no paint work anywhere, probably a parking lot incident that "somebody" insisted on calling the cops. Tried to buy a Benz and a few others that kept slmming me $3k less for carfax. Traded it on a new Grand Cherokee and got full trade at the Jeep delaer I bought it from. Worked out for me since I really wanted the GC diesel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey,

I've got an 07 and I cracked the front end on the right corner, body shop ran it up to $11200 U.S. The steering gear was $3700 and required because the lower control arm was bent. There wasn't any structural damage, just a hood, fender, bumper, control arm strut, rim, tire, and paint, alignment, paint. But I would have it checked out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tracked down the body shop where the work was done on the car and they were initially hesitant in giving out details but did end up telling me that the damage was 'extensive'. That's all she gave up. Anyway, not buying this one. Going to keep searching for a while and hopefully I stumble upon another good deal!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts