Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a BMW 3 series Diesel in CA and the dealer mentioned "one owner car" It turns out when I looked at the carfax it says "Purchased at Auction Northeast region". It was sold with 8K miles to the dealer. The original 8K was a corporate vehicle before it went to auction. Does this raise a red flag? I don't like auction cars. Do all corporate BMW vehicles go to auction first? there is 1 owner since the dealer purchased it and just turned back from a lease. I assume its technically a 2 owner car.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,743 Posts
No red flag at all. BMW executive cars are a great buy. You can get thousands off the price, because BMW dealers buy them at heavily discounted prices at a BMW dealer only auction conducted by BMW North America.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Auction car

Ya, But how do I know it's an auction only for BMW's? It said "Auction Northeast Division". Also, my thoughts are that an exec having a car for only 8 months is going to drive it hard even in its early days knowing he/she is going to get rid of it. Also, not keen on cars from the Northeast assuming that is where it was used (NE Auction).

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
The only way to determine what Auction Northeast Division means is to call the auctioneer. 8k miles is not all that much. Mostly in town driving would be my bet. And the enginge wear would be far less than you would see from one owned by a BMW enthusiast who chipped the car and street raced it. No way to tell the car was modded once it was removed.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am looking at a BMW 3 series Diesel in CA and the dealer mentioned "one owner car" It turns out when I looked at the carfax it says "Purchased at Auction Northeast region". It was sold with 8K miles to the dealer. The original 8K was a corporate vehicle before it went to auction. Does this raise a red flag? I don't like auction cars. Do all corporate BMW vehicles go to auction first? there is 1 owner since the dealer purchased it and just turned back from a lease. I assume its technically a 2 owner car.
What year is the car and how many miles on it now? I would look carefully at the maintenance history. Were the oil changes done as required? My suspicion is that for a car with 8K miles on it to go to auction, it means that it wouldn't meet CPO standards.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,743 Posts
Ya, But how do I know it's an auction only for BMW's? It said "Auction Northeast Division". Also, my thoughts are that an exec having a car for only 8 months is going to drive it hard even in its early days knowing he/she is going to get rid of it. Also, not keen on cars from the Northeast assuming that is where it was used (NE Auction).
How do you know it’s an auction just for BMWs? Because I just told that’s how it works. It turns out I’ve learned a thing or two about how BMWNA operates in 14 years on this forum. I think it’s safe to say BMW executives don’t rag on their cars.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Response on auction exec car

Actually, it sold at Auction NE with 8K miles to the dealer. The Dealer then sold it to technically owner #2 who had it until 42K. The car is back at the dealer being sold with a CPO (Until March of 2016). Are there any major differences between 2014, 15, and 16? This is a 16 wagon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a 2019 430i Gran Coupe "Executive Demo" 2 months ago. I am the first owner per the paper work as the car was never titled before.

Car is in new condition in everything. I bought it in 04/2019 and it had a manufacturing date of 10/2018 so it was six months old and had 11k miles on it. Also it was CPO'd by the dealer which included replacing 2 tires. I get full warranty minus 6 months plus the extra 1 year for CPO. I am also eligible for free maintenance as I am first owner.

No issues with the car. It was $18k below sticker

·
Registered
109 Posts
Actually, it sold at Auction NE with 8K miles to the dealer. The Dealer then sold it to technically owner #2 who had it until 42K. The car is back at the dealer being sold with a CPO (Until March of 2016). Are there any major differences between 2014, 15, and 16? This is a 16 wagon.
So thats very different then an executive car thats being sold by a dealer, thats a used car with 42k miles. Id treat it with the same expectations as any other used car. Owner #1 with 8k miles i wouldnt worry about, owner #2 with the subsequent 34k miles would have done any significant wear and tear on it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My suspicion is that for a car with 8K miles on it to go to auction, it means that it wouldn't meet CPO standards.
Thanks for the info, tturedraider and Alex, I never knew about BMW Executive Demos. This is a whole different situation than a normal auction. So, forget about my above statement.

·
former motorcycle rider
766 Posts
First of all, these "executive demo cars" are often not "executive" driven, but rather the BMW techs that travel to all of the dealerships helping them fix tough issues. Some are press cars. Second, BMW NA is based in NJ, so most of the company cars go through the NE auction.

The other advice is straight on - it's just like any other used car, no better, no worse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts