BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kinda tossing around the idea of getting a used Z3 as a play car. This wouldn't be an everyday driver. Why? Why not...

Anyway, i think i can find a used one for around $15-17k and since it'll be a 2nd car, the number of miles doesn't really matter.

Would this be a good, reliable purchase? I've probably got a couple months at least before i do this.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
325iN2it said:
I'm kinda tossing around the idea of getting a used Z3 as a play car. This wouldn't be an everyday driver. Why? Why not...

Anyway, i think i can find a used one for around $15-17k and since it'll be a 2nd car, the number of miles doesn't really matter.

Would this be a good, reliable purchase? I've probably got a couple months at least before i do this.
Z3s are INCREDIBLE fun to drive...Perfect weekend/2nd car.

I think you can probably pick up a good '97 1.9 for that price. The 1.9 lack in power but makes up for it in its sheer willingness to REV and REV HARD. Do be aware, it is a VERY small car, my friend who's 6'4" BARELY fit in the passenger compartment. I'm 6'0" and 225 lbs and it was a very comfortable fit.

The driving dynamics on the Z3 is incredible as well...it's a lot more tossible than the E46es, brakes better, handles better...Just all around fun car. You'll love it.

Get a '98 if you can...There's a lot more standard stuff like the roll hoops and fog/cruise and all that crap. Also, the Z3 1.9l is a hell of a car to mod, you can do a Shawn Fogg airbox and strong strut to start, new swaybars and coilover later, and ultimately a downing-atlanta supercharger will bring the 1.9l up to the performance of an M roadster and you'd be able to come in under $22K for all that.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nate328Ci said:
Look into Miatas as well....
Sorry, i can't do Japanese cars. Miatas may be great, fun to drive cars, but...

I'm also thinking of buying a larger townhome here in SD, which is almost next to impossible to get anything reasonable. Maybe i should get a garage first before another car. The scary thing is that it's probably easier for me to take out a home equity line of credit than be approved for a more expensive home.

Oh well, i'll make the best of it somehow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.