BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After buying my first BMW a few weeks ago I wavered (multiple times) on which detailing products I wanted to try first. My wife happened to overhear my second or third iteration and decided to buy me the Zaino Ultimate Kit after overhearing my somewhat expressed interest. She was forced to reveal this early because I was two seconds from ordering a PC and PB SS1 and SS2 (and about 10 other things) from DI. My 08 328xi E92 is Monaco Blue and had some decent swirling I was more than ready to eliminate. The Zaino option was appealing because I was a little nervous about the buffer and abrasives. Having never done this I was pretty apprehensive, and was slightly relived when she said the Zaino was already on the way.

My original plan was to wait a few weeks to go though the process since I knew it was going to be an all day affair. To fight the detailing itch I went ahead and ordered PB PwS and Natty Blue. I planned to use those this weekend and use the Zaino next month. However, good weather changed my plans. 60 degrees and sunny had me dying to try the Zaino.

I followed the process to a T. Dawn wash, Clay, Z7 wash, Z5, Z6, Z2, Z6...(Z5,Z6, Z2, Z6 repeated 3 times). Wow, what a shine (see pictures). However I was fairly disappointed in it's inability to mask the swirls (this isn't captured in the pic very well). This alone might keep me from reusing. It was very easy to apply, smells nice., and depth seems to improve with layers. However, having to apply multiple layer is a turn off. The leather cleaner/conditioner are by far the best I've ever used, and if you like the smell of fresh leather, you will really like this.

I was feeling pretty good about the results until the wife pulled up in the dirty Explorer. As a thank you for the Zaino (and letting me buy the bimmer in the first place) I decided to give some attention to the Explorer. This also gave me a chance to try out the PB products. What's another few hours of detailing, right?. I gave it a wash and then went straight to the PwS followed by Natty Blue (by hand).

My first regret with the Zaino process was the time. The Z was two days in the making and 7-8 hours total. However, after about 2 1/2 hours I had the Explorer washed, dried, polished/sealed, and waxed. Most of this time was spent washing a drying. The PB is crazy easy/fast to apply. My second regret is with the results. The Explorer looked just as good once it was done.

Now I'm fighting myself on ordering the PC since I've already sunk 8 hours into the Zaino. Should I be nervous about using the PC/Polish combo?

Attachments

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
After buying my first BMW a few weeks ago I wavered (multiple times) on which detailing products I wanted to try first. My wife happened to overhear my second or third iteration and decided to buy me the Zaino Ultimate Kit after overhearing my somewhat expressed interest. She was forced to reveal this early because I was two seconds from ordering a PC and PB SS1 and SS2 (and about 10 other things) from DI. My 08 328xi E92 is Monaco Blue and had some decent swirling I was more than ready to eliminate. The Zaino option was appealing because I was a little nervous about the buffer and abrasives. Having never done this I was pretty apprehensive, and was slightly relived when she said the Zaino was already on the way.

My original plan was to wait a few weeks to go though the process since I knew it was going to be an all day affair. To fight the detailing itch I went ahead and ordered PB PwS and Natty Blue. I planned to use those this weekend and use the Zaino next month. However, good weather changed my plans. 60 degrees and sunny had me dying to try the Zaino.

I followed the process to a T. Dawn wash, Clay, Z7 wash, Z5, Z6, Z2, Z6...(Z5,Z6, Z2, Z6 repeated 3 times). Wow, what a shine (see pictures). However I was fairly disappointed in it's inability to mask the swirls (this isn't captured in the pic very well). This alone might keep me from reusing. It was very easy to apply, smells nice., and depth seems to improve with layers. However, having to apply multiple layer is a turn off. The leather cleaner/conditioner are by far the best I've ever used, and if you like the smell of fresh leather, you will really like this.

I was feeling pretty good about the results until the wife pulled up in the dirty Explorer. As a thank you for the Zaino (and letting me buy the bimmer in the first place) I decided to give some attention to the Explorer. This also gave me a chance to try out the PB products. What's another few hours of detailing, right?. I gave it a wash and then went straight to the PwS followed by Natty Blue (by hand).

My first regret with the Zaino process was the time. The Z was two days in the making and 7-8 hours total. However, after about 2 1/2 hours I had the Explorer washed, dried, polished/sealed, and waxed. Most of this time was spent washing a drying. The PB is crazy easy/fast to apply. My second regret is with the results. The Explorer looked just as good once it was done.

Now I'm fighting myself on ordering the PC since I've already sunk 8 hours into the Zaino. Should I be nervous about using the PC/Polish combo?
There really isn't any way to mask a swirl or scratch. Some products use fillers, like a glaze, but the next time you wash the car, you'll see the scratches/swirls again. The only way to soften the edges or remove them is to remove a micron of paint through compounding. I would also strongly advise against dawn on any BMW, it is very harsh on the rubber and plastic exterior trim pieces. Black is pretty difficult so learning the PC may be a good idea.

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts
There really isn't any way to mask a swirl or scratch. Some products use fillers, like a glaze, but the next time you wash the car, you'll see the scratches/swirls again. The only way to soften the edges or remove them is to remove a micron of paint through compounding. I would also strongly advise against dawn on any BMW, it is very harsh on the rubber and plastic exterior trim pieces. Black is pretty difficult so learning the PC may be a good idea.
This is a poster who knows his stuff.

Thanks for helping to refute a silly myth.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

OK, I give in. What's PB PwS, Natty Blue, PC and PB SS1, SS2?

·
wooohooo
2,909 Posts
Not really, DA orbitals have made polishing safe for us enthusiasts. It's with a rotary that you have to be careful. Get multiple pads for any cut/color you choose (so you don't have to waste time cleaning them during the process).

Monaco is the closest to black I can think of in BMW colors without being black. I compounded some portions of my friend's (quite abused) black car two weeks ago, and it was the first time I thought that I would really have enjoyed trying a Flex DA. The Flex has been described as the tool that would be in-between a DA and rotary by a pro here at BF. It's said to have an 8mm "orbit distance", which I guess is supposed to be very big. The problem is the price tag at +$300.

Maybe I'll upload a photo I took of the post-PC hood of that car I did a couple of weeks ago, I think it was with a yellow pad (the most aggressive), and Meg's 105, one round. Used a lil Dorcy LED flashlight (though I'd like to get some halogens). You can see the untouched left side has a surface that is way less smooth, going by how the light is just reflected everywhere. To do the entire car once (let alone twice), then hitting it up with a finishing polish (if not more polishes in between), yeah it's tough work and takes a long time. Some people get all this done in a day, kudos to them.

I might recommend getting some automotive masking tape, not only so you can see side by sides like the below, but for other applications such as headlight restoration, etc.

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
Thanks for helping to refute a silly myth.
I caught my neighbor using Ivory on his CPO E93 2 weeks ago, I convinced him to switch to something much more gentle, but a week after he bought the Adams, he went on to use an old rag to wash it, so ... :rofl:

·
IntarWeb Stalker
10,068 Posts
I have to say that explorer is the prettiest looking explorer I have ever seen.

Good job to the OP!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks furby, my wife was pretty pleased as well (even more so when I did the interior the next day). The Poorboy's blew me away with simplicity/results.

kurgan - The dawn was to remove any old wax (or whatever) still on the car. How would you have done this otherwise (pre-wax cleaner, just clay?) In addition, when I decide to move away from the Zaino, how would you get it off, or should I even worry about it? From what I've read, most use dawn/clay for that as well.

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
Thanks furby, my wife was pretty pleased as well (even more so when I did the interior the next day). The Poorboy's blew me away with simplicity/results.

kurgan - The dawn was to remove any old wax (or whatever) still on the car. How would you have done this otherwise (pre-wax cleaner, just clay?) In addition, when I decide to move away from the Zaino, how would you get it off, or should I even worry about it? From what I've read, most use dawn/clay for that as well.
I use the Chemical Guys Citrus Wash, it's plastic/rubber friendly, then clay will remove any remaining. Even diluted, dawn is extremely harmful.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Premium_Car_Wash_Shampoo_p/cws_301.htm

·
wooohooo
2,909 Posts
On second gander, I am more convinced you will want to splurge for the Flex, even if I've never used one. I am guessing it will be well worth the cost, considering how much back breaking will go on with two black or near black vehicles, with one of them being a larger SUV.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.