BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Using Castrol TWS 10W-60

2514 8
I know I have a 328XI and I don't need to run this oil in the car. Should I use this oil, living in Germany driving the car harder than it would be driven in the US or is it a waste of money @ $13.95 a quart? Will the motor and oiling system be okay using 10w-60 oil since it is thicker. Changing it every 7500 miles. I have read lots of notes on oil and still not sure which one is best for me. :eek: I plan to keep the car long term! Anybody else using this oil in a 328?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
So far, no oil related deaths 'cept for the intake valve problem, now as fixed as HPFP issues.

Recommend you meet or exceed what BMW says.

Have you asked them?

Bets off if heavily modified and tracked or run hard often. Frequent oil change, thicker oil suited to the higher temp service, and rigorous catch-cannin' will help you there. I know, N52, but those can be supercharged for instance.

NOTE: This question is best posted to e90post and especially n54tech. Though the last is strictly forced induction, your stresses will be a subset of theirs, assuming your motor's mostly stock. You're a Boss if not.....

I know I have a 328XI and I don't need to run this oil in the car. Should I use this oil, living in Germany driving the car harder than it would be driven in the US or is it a waste of money @ $13.95 a quart? Will the motor and oiling system be okay using 10w-60 oil since it is thicker. Changing it every 7500 miles. I have read lots of notes on oil and still not sure which one is best for me. :eek: I plan to keep the car long term! Anybody else using this oil in a 328?
10W-60 is for M Cars. You are wasting your money and using oil that's not spec'd for your car. Use the BMW 5W-30 or equivalent. Follow the BMW service interval and you will be fine.
Not only are you wasting $, but you're also going to be putting excessive wear on your engine.
I would use the proper oil and a 5-7k change interval..
not a good idea, your engine was not designed for 60 weight oil so it will not flow properly. Use the right oil or risk damage to the engine. Old "wives" tale about using thicker oil being better and it does not apply to a modern engine.
David
Ja, :stupid:
10W-60 is for M Cars. You are wasting your money and using oil that's not spec'd for your car. Use the BMW 5W-30 or equivalent. Follow the BMW service interval and you will be fine.
Okay guys, I agree with most of the posts and I need and oil change and seen it in the store and though I would like to hear from you guys on this site that knows more than me! Thanks for the input! :bow:
There is a 0W-30 Castrol sold in the USA, but made in Germany. It's known as "German Castrol". It puts out consistently good results in UOA (Used Oil Analysis).

Okay guys, I agree with most of the posts and I need and oil change and seen it in the store and though I would like to hear from you guys on this site that knows more than me! Thanks for the input! :bow:
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.