Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can we use the RC park feature on the display key to start my M550 and warm it up? My wife’s car is parked right outside her office window so I’m wondering if this would be a bypass to not having a remote starter?

·
Registered
2013 535xi
4,184 Posts
My understanding is you will need to be within about 10 feet before it would start.
Also if the fob leaves that range the engine will stop again.

·
Oil Burners Rule!
1,346 Posts
Remote start? I didnt think that Bimmers could be started remotely.

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,041 Posts
The new X5 has factory remote start. I *believe* on the G30 it's an accessory purchase, unless you have the hybrid, in which case I *think* you can use the battery to precondition...

·
Registered
219 Posts
BMWs didn't until this current model year, it seems. It looks like it's an option for all newly updated models starting 2019 maybe?

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,041 Posts
I have to fly back to Newark tomorrow and get my G30 out of the parking garage with a wind chill near 10. Why BMW can’t come up with a remote start for the G30 is beyond my comprehension.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
I'm pretty sure they have one, it's just a dealer installed accessory and not from the factory.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I just added the "BMW Connected" skill to Alexa, hoping this would allow me to remote start the car using voice commands...I don't think it can.

Here is a list of some of the commands you can use by voice:

"What time should I leave for my trip?"
"What time should I arrive for my next appointment?"
"What is my vehicle range?"
"How much gas do I have"
"How far can I go before I have to refuel?"
"Do I need to go to the gas station?"
"Do I need to fill the tank?"
"What is my vehicle's fuel level?"
"What is the status of my BMW?"
"Is my car locked?"
"Is my car unlocked?"
"Did I remember to unlock my car?"
"Lock my BMW"
"Are my windows open?"
"Did I remember to close my windows?"
"What is my window status?"
"Tell BMW to ventilate my BMW"
"Tell BMW to precondition my BMW"
"Send my next trip to the car"
"Activate the climate control"
"Is my sunroof closed?"
"Is my trunk locked?"

Note: Commands may not be recognized without first stating "Alexa, ask BMW..." or "Alexa, tell BMW..."

Curious, I then added my wife's Lexus vehicle skill and can easily remote start the car using a voice command through Alexa. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
418 Posts
The G30 can have remote PARKING as a factory option - so you can start the car and move it forwards/backwards while standing outside the car using the key. It won't function the way you'd want it to for remote START because you have to be within range the whole time the feature is operational (a few feet) and you have to keep the the remote parking button held down.

If you want remote START to pre-warm the car, the dealer can install a fuel burning heater, which is linked to the standard remote pre-conditioning (off the app or off the display key), so when you set pre-conditioning the heater comes on and warms up the car. It won't run the engine though.

The 530e can pre-heat the car remotely using battery power.

Those are the only BMW approved options for the G30. But you could get an aftermarket remote start feature.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have to fly back to Newark tomorrow and get my G30 out of the parking garage with a wind chill near 10. Why BMW can’t come up with a remote start for the G30 is beyond my comprehension.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
It's not that they can't, its that they haven't yet chosen to, I suppose. The new X5s come with remote start as a factory option, so they're rolling them out slowly. I'd expect the G30 LCR to get the option.

Inclusion of remote start in late model vehicles is almost always about acceptable security, as anything you can do over the internet/through an app adds a significant amount of risk above and beyond what you get from a keyfob.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts