BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just talked with my BMW dealership and found out that if I install the UUC Motorwerkes Twin Silencer Exhaust, that will void the warranty on the ENTIRE CAR!! WTF! They said if I purchased anything thru Dinan and get it installed at an authorized Dinan dealer, that will keep my warranty intact. I'm quite confused by this whole thing. Does the parts dept. guy just not know what he's talking about? My exhaust is due to arrive tomorrow and I might have to sell it already.

My car is due at the dealership by May 8th so I have some time to figure out what to do.

Please let me know if anyone else has heard of this/experienced this with any non-Dinan exhaust mods.

Thanks!:thumb:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
How the hell are they going to prove that the exhaust caused, for example, the door seal to break?!

I've had a sh*t load of mods put on my car and my dealership has honored all my warranty requests so far, not a single peep. Tell your dealership you will be taking your "business" elsewhere.

·
10,856 Posts
They are full of shit. The law specifically states that unless the device directly caused any malfunction, the warranty is fully valid.

Still, though... An exhaust system is, frankly, a pretty dumb first mod on your car. You will see almost no, if any at all, benefit at a rather substantial cost. If you really want noise, disable the exhaust valve. Totally free, gets you lots of sound. If you want performance, get swaybars, maybe a shortshifter, a clutch stop and an M3 steering wheel. There is no reason to put an exhaust on the car until you've done just about every other possible performance mod. And even then, it's still debatable, unless you've gone with forced induction (just plain ridiculous, when you could trade for an M3.).

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
This reminded me of the owner manual's of the Ford cars a year ago or so. It was saying in the manual that only Ford parts must be used, otherwise the warranty would be voided.

A group of aftermarket part manufacturers came together and brought the case to the court. Of course they won. And Ford Motor Company changed the manuals :)

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
This reminded me of the owner manual's of the Ford cars a year ago or so. It was saying in the manual that only Ford parts must be used, otherwise the warranty would be voided.

A group of aftermarket part manufacturers came together and brought the case to the court. Of course they won. And Ford Motor Company changed the manuals :)
That doesn't cover Ford manufactured AIR in the tire, does it? Or is it Firestone air that's at fault?

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
The HACK said:
That doesn't cover Ford manufactured AIR in the tire, does it? Or is it Firestone air that's at fault?
LMAO! Don't remember what it was, I must dig up the article. But nothing related to air, LOL, you crack me up.

·
10,856 Posts
There's a sticker on the windshield of my car (well, it WAS there) that basically says that if you touch the car in a manner not explicitly sanctioned by BMW, your warranty is void. :p

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Nick325xiT said:
There's a sticker on the windshield of my car (well, it WAS there) that basically says that if you touch the car in a manner not explicitly sanctioned by BMW, your warranty is void. :p
Exactly, so don't play with the exhaust :D

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nate328Ci said:
That's rediculous...

They shouldn't cover the UUC muffler, but other than that, nothing else should be effected...

hell, the Dinan muffler is basically the exact same thing...
This is exactly what I heard and believed.

The dealership has been great in every other respect. . . but then again I have been just dealing with my salesman.

Thanks for the responses guys. I am going to research this some more.

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
Ackster said:
I just talked with my BMW dealership and found out that if I install the UUC Motorwerkes Twin Silencer Exhaust, that will void the warranty on the ENTIRE CAR!! WTF!
BULL PUCKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you need to print the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, roll it up into a tube then slip into one of your service advisor's orifices.

a quick google search yields:

http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides/ftc/warranties/undermag.htm

more here:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="Magnuson-Moss+Warranty+Act"

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Ackster,

That's not true at all! I can't believe they'd try to tell you something like that. The entire car warranty will never be voided due to 1 particular part on the car. THAT PART is no longer covered obviously, and if it can be determined that THAT part caused some other problem THEN you're liable to pay for it, but only under those circumstances.

Check this stuff out:

http://www.sema.org/content/?ID=8123
http://www.sema.org/content/?ID=22237

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
webguy330i,

Thanks for those links! I am printing them up as we speak and I will present them to this Part Dept Rep. the next time I stop by. Dave wasn't sure if the exhaust would do anything to the warranty so he checked the with Rep. I just hope after installing this they don't give me problems with anything. I don't want to start out on a contentious footing with Towne.

The more I think about my conversation with this guy yesterday, the more angry I'm becoming! :mad:

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
With whom did you speak? The only person who is actually qualified to tell you whether it will "void the warranty" is the service manager. The parts people don't know what they're talking about.

But yes, print it out and bring it in. If they don't want to budge, well, number 1 that's going to suck because they're purposely denying you your rightful warranty because they think they can get away with it, and number 2 because you're just going to have to escalate this to the next level. :tsk:

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It might have been the service manager. Dave brought me down the hall (past the conference room) and his office was right across from the new car garage bay.

Either way, I just spoke with my attorney at work and he said that unless I wanted to get into a conflct with BMW and my dealership, that I would be smarter to just sell the exhaust and not deal with them. He said that BMW has mechanics that could "prove one way or another" that the exhaust caused some type of other mechanical failure with the engine and that it wouldn't be worth my time or money to dispute.

I think I will probably just sell the exhaust and look into the Dinan exhaust. At least then I won't have to deal with this crap! Hell, I might just not get any exhaust at all (my own reasoning for getting the exhaust is now starting not to make any sense).

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
I agree, it's a lot less time and money to not hassle with them. Unfortunately that's the way these things go; sometimes dealerships could care less about mods, sometimes they care about them more than the customer.

I think in this case they just want the Dinan money!

I applaud you for selling the exhaust anyhow; just keep it stock man. Low-key, pimpin' if you will, is the way to be. ;)

Besides, how are your passengers going to enjoy the movies with that exhaust droning on and on?

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
webguy330i said:
Besides, how are your passengers going to enjoy the movies with that exhaust droning on and on?
Great point!! :lmao: :lmao: Hey, worse comes to worse, I could just throw in Fast and the Furious, put it on a constant loop at the drag race, and listen to the sounds of exhaust to my hearts content! :D

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Ackster said:

Great point!! :lmao: :lmao: Hey, worse comes to worse, I could just throw in Fast and the Furious, put it on a constant loop at the drag race, and listen to the sounds of exhaust to my hearts content! :D
LOL! You know I had this crazy idea once... I was going to hook up a microphone in the engine bay and plug it into the aux port on my stereo in my old Civic. Before you jump in the rice bucket, lemme explain that that car had the BEST damn sound at WOT with an AEM intake on it. My god it was beautiful. Deep, low growling 1.6l 4-cylinder! :D

Never got around to it though.

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
Wow! They certainly have a high FUD factor over a stupid exhaust.

What the heck is an exhaust going to contribute to anything?

Imagine if you were talking about a REAL modification like a Cold Air Intake? I could see someone spazzing about that, but an exhaust?

Nick is correct--- the exhaust is a useless mod anyway.... but still, why would they care.

And if it was the parts guys... just stay away from them... if it's not an OEM part, they don't know about it. (Actually, some don't know much about OEM parts either!)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.