BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

UUC shift kit hits driveshaft

1164 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  bol
The car I bought came with a UUC shift kit(evo2 I believe...) and if I push down on the knob slightly the lever hits the drive shaft. There is a nice ring ground into it now. This explains why my shifts were a little weird to say the least!

Anyone seen this happen before? I'm going to pull the lever out and see if there is excess for me to cut off.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
I've seen this, but not on a UUC. There's nothing you can cut off to fix this. Did this particular kit originally come with a ERK that was never installed?
I'm not sure. I don't know what I'm looking for visually. The car came with it installed(and has been on it for a LONG time, I'm surpised the previous owner didn't address the issue.)
Unless it's the wrong model or there's something specific to the Z that makes the shifter/driveshaft clearance more critical, a missing ERK is the only thing I could think of.
How much 'slight' pressure must you put on the shift knob to hear it grind?

I've seen people drive with one hand on the shifter, acting as if it was a door handle to hang onto while driving. Needless to say, this is definitely NOT what the shifter is for and is actually bad for the transmission. The only time any pressure should be placed on the shifter is when shifting, that's all.
I don't really have to push down hard at all. I have to consciously not put pressure on it so that it doesn't grind.
I've got a box of new M levers left over from when I used to cut them down. I could sell you one at cost, including the parts required for installation. Get a Whalen shift knob and you'll be at (or near) the same lever height and better off in the long run.
Sounds good. PM incoming...

Edit: Looks like your inbox is full, you can send me a message with how much and how to send payment.
Randy Forbes said:
I've got a box of new M levers left over from when I used to cut them down. I could sell you one at cost, including the parts required for installation. Get a Whalen shift knob and you'll be at (or near) the same lever height and better off in the long run.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.