BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the UUC short shift kit on my '99 M3 last Saturday, during Jetfest 1.0. Several people have already commented on this mod, so I'll keep my own observations short.

Installation: I put jackstands under the front of the car and had plenty of clearance to install the kit. I'm of a medium build, so most people will probably be able to do the same. As for difficulty, the install took longer than I expected but it was actually not difficult. The Clip from Hell was indeed tricky, but it requires more patience than force. I got hung up while reinstalling the carrier, but only because I somehow missed the second mounting hole. :banghead: The shifter-to-selector rod connection also tripped me up because I couldn't install the circlip with both yellow washers (which is how the stock shifter was assembled on my car). I removed the one closer to the rod, and everything fit perfectly. Those two hiccups easily cost me an hour of wasted time. I can now confidently say that I can install a shifter in two to three hours with a spotter.

Impressions: Wow! I would've been happy if the install had taken three days. The throws are S2000 short, very crisp, and overall MUCH improved. A lot of the initial notchiness has gone already, and I have NO additional noise in the car while driving. During hard, high-RPM shifts, I occasionally hear a little more noise.

The ONLY thing I miss about the stock shifter is the ability to switch gears with one finger's worth of pressure. This unit does require more force, but the effort is SO worth it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, and I have no problems whatsoever with the UUC kit.

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TD said:
Excellent.

So if I bribe you with beer and food, you'll help me do mine?
Worked for you guys, didn't it? :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts