BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was quoted a price of $540 (includes tax) to install the Evo-3 UUC short shifter kit on my 2003 330i. Is it really worth it? Should I change out my stock shift knob after installing it?Which one do you guys suggest?..
TIA

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sounds a bit high to me.. (I'm assuming that price is for the SSK and installation). The SSK itself is about $325 and should take about an hour to 1.5 hours for someone who has done it before and has access to the proper tools/facilities.

But, I do love mine..... I just kept the stock knob on mine, but some people prefer a heavier knob.

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
I love mine too and DIY installed it. A set of Rhino ramps, pair of jack stands, and a floor jack is all that was required to get the car off the ground to access the shifter from under the car.

A time-saving step is to insert the new cup without removing the carrier. If you have small hands, or access to a pair :D , the six allen screws can be installed from the top. The rest of the install is very easy.

Every one of the instructors I've had at several driving schools comment on how great the shifter in my car is. Just part of a few bolt-on mods I've done that have made an already great car that much better.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
After feeling jvr's shifter, I had to get one for myself.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: . $540 doesn't sound *too bad* to have someone install it. I did it myself as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've been curious about a short shifter for a while. The one thing that worries me is actually the armrest.
The shifter on the zhp is a little lower than stock (I think). For daily driving, it's not a problem but for spirited driving, I usually flip up the arm rest for better access to the shifter.

For any of you that have installed a short shift kit, do you have an armrest also, and if so, how much does that affect your shifting?

Dave

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
dmilam said:
I've been curious about a short shifter for a while. The one thing that worries me is actually the armrest.
The shifter on the zhp is a little lower than stock (I think). For daily driving, it's not a problem but for spirited driving, I usually flip up the arm rest for better access to the shifter.

For any of you that have installed a short shift kit, do you have an armrest also, and if so, how much does that affect your shifting?

Dave
I haven't found that the armrest makes any difference (comparing to the stock shifter height).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.