Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Meat Puppet
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a set of UUC sways to put on the 330i this weekend.

Now I know I can muck with the settings at will but I'd much rather get an informed opinion before I start having to use the guess and test process.

E46, stock SP suspension, with same size 225/445/17's all around. Stock suspension allignment.

Was considering full stiff rear, med front. Matt at UUC has suggested med front, full soft rear (supposedly helps get the rear wheels locking up coming out of a corner.)

Some of you appear to run full stiff front and rear....

As I'm now confused beyond belief, would a kind person please give me some reasonable advice on what they consider the fastest setup for autox.

Thanks!

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
I'm in the same situation as you, save the AutoX concern. (I'm looking at some driving school/track time in the fall, so I can find out just how bad a driver I am, but until then just daily street use and canyon road fun).

The HACK is helping me out with the install this weekend (SwayBarbarians and SSK), and I think I've settled on trying full stiff to start with. I'll try to temper my 330's inherent tendency to understeer (due to the staggered tire setup w/ the SP) by adjusting tire pressures... will start with 41psi up front and 38psi in the rear, and see how that feels. I have been going with 40psi all around, and I do occasionally sense the understeering tendencies when really pushing it in the twisties.

·
Addicted To Autocross
191 Posts
This Should Help

Use the following as a guide. Don't rely on the settings though. They are to fine tune the car's handling. Of course, they'll help, but improve your driving skills by getting as much seat time as possible. That will make you faster than any mod or adjustment.

Generally, the car understeers so using the table below you can dial out the understeer and get more oversteer. The proper adjustments can help you go quicker along the correct driving line. Good luck.

Oh, and on a side note Plaz...I went to the Valley of Fire not too long ago. What an awesome place. And the twisty road back to Vegas...ah, I loved it.

<iframe src="http://shinobi.bmw330ci.com/Autocross/setting_effects.htm" frameborder="0" height="300" width="640"></iframe>

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Only way to really know is to try them out.

The stock sways are normally okay for autocross, but with yours it will be nice to be able to tune by adjusting your sways. What you are looking for is speed, so you are going to have to adjust tire pressure and sways then look at your tires and feel how the car drives. I would think that the high setting would be too much, but you will have to see to find out.

·
Meat Puppet
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Things I've heard:

If the car is 50/50 weight distribution, then go with even tire pressures front and rear and use the sways to balance the car.
(Which makes sense to me.)

In a normal 330 SP, with the wider rears, it understeers like crazy, with mine, i'm the same size front and rear.

My thoughts were, as I'm running higer pressure in the front to tune out some understeer. I can go back to even tire pressures front and rear, and stiffen up the rear bar to get the same less understeer as before.

Agree? disagree?

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
Re: This Should Help

Shinobi said:
Oh, and on a side note Plaz...I went to the Valley of Fire not too long ago. What an awesome place. And the twisty road back to Vegas...ah, I loved it.
Isn't that fun? :thumbup:

Check out the loop around Mt. Charleston next time, too... also fun and scenic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts