BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share for other who have foggy head light lenses; If you think your headlights are too far gone, they aren’t. My wife’s have looked like this since we purchased it 6 months ago. I wanted to buy new headlights, but not for $2,600. I decided to try a headlight reconditioning kit. I figure it will need redone every 9 months or so. But wow what a difference. I used he mguires kit with a polishing brush for a drill. It cost $29 and took 2 hours with Prep and cleanup. A person could probably do it in 30 if they needed to.

Attachments

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,323 Posts
Ive done similar on several cars. Not the kit, but sand then polish. Dramatic

Consider a film to protect that new surface, the film will also add UV protection...

·
Registered
683 Posts
Did you remove the headlights or bumper?
Or was it done while on the car?

·
Registered
556 Posts
When I bought my car in 2011; the first thing I got was the clear bra and the installer put some of the remaining film on the lights as well....look good even today after nearly 7 years.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'm glad you have found a system that works for you, @corleykj. I have tried several kits/systems, and I have found the cheapest one that works the best. My BMW's lenses haven't needed it, but my wife's 2001 Jetta TDI has.

The last time I had to do her lenses, it took me 5 minutes, including the time it took to dig the product out of the tub of assorted liquid garage products and grab a couple paper towels.

Squirt a teaspoon full of "the stuff" on a dry paper towel, smear it on a lens and buff by hand until dry (about a minute). Then wipe off with a wet paper towel. Best of all, I paid $17 for a half-pint bottle, which I expect to last several more years, even redoing the job every 6 months.

The product? "Blue Magic Headlight Lens Reconditioner." On the shelves of the local AutoZone. BTW, the instructions do say if the damage is severe enough, hit it with some wet 1000 grit sand paper first. And yes, the treated lenses do look new. BTW, for anyone noticing that your lenses are starting to fog up, I highly recommend starting a polishing program right away. Don't wait until you absolutely MUST do something. Letting it go saves nothing; you will easily spend way too much time and effort doing wet-sandpaper multiple times to get it to where simple polish works.

Having seen the local dealers of various brands offering headlight reconditioning for around $100 a car, I've debated going out to cash in on THAT racket.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Very nice. The kit I used this summer definitely helped, but it was not as dramatic. Post a link so we can see what exactly you used.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts