BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fibrenew Guy in Raleigh
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks:

I found a DIY at bmw330ci.com but that is for a coupe. Can anyone lead me to a switched 12V source on the 'vert that is "easy pickings" for the hardwire? I'll be installing a remove as well.

Thanks for any help you can give us.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Do you have autodimming mirror? If you do you can tap into the powersource for the autodimming mirror.

If you don't, you can patch a wire to the glove compartment. Behind the fuse box there's a row of color coded power supply.

·
Fibrenew Guy in Raleigh
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The HACK said:
Do you have autodimming mirror? If you do you can tap into the powersource for the autodimming mirror.

If you don't, you can patch a wire to the glove compartment. Behind the fuse box there's a row of color coded power supply.
Thanks for the fast reply! Yes, we have the autodimming mirror. Do you know offhand which is the proper power lead? If not I can find it with the DVM, but if you already know that saves me a step :)

I assume there's room under the window trim at the top and near the a-pillar on the side to run the remote unit wire?

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Redshift said:

Thanks for the fast reply! Yes, we have the autodimming mirror. Do you know offhand which is the proper power lead? If not I can find it with the DVM, but if you already know that saves me a step :)

I assume there's room under the window trim at the top and near the a-pillar on the side to run the remote unit wire?
It's a yellow/blue wire.

·
Fibrenew Guy in Raleigh
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The HACK said:

It's a yellow/blue wire.
Okay, thanks.

Best way to remove the plastic housing from around the mirror would be what?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Use a test light to find the hot lead for the overhead lights. I forget the color but I had no problem finding one. You need a ground. I believe it is the brown wire. Always the ground on BMS's. Love the V1. Shaf

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Redshift said:

Okay, thanks.

Best way to remove the plastic housing from around the mirror would be what?
I don't own a convertible so I'm not 100% certain the procedure is the same. You can take a small, eye glass repair flat head screw driver and insert it into the small seam running down the center of the plastic housing. Twist the screwdriver and the housing will pop open allowing access to the innerds of the mirror wiring harness. It might be easier to work on the wires if you remove the mirror as well, grab the base of the mirror and rotate 60 degrees clockwise and the mirrorbase will release from the windshield.

You can probably drill a small hole in the back of the mirror housing for easy access to snake the wires through.

·
Fibrenew Guy in Raleigh
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I had it all wired up but the components would not fit inside that small plastic housing. So now I need to figure out how to get the passenger side A-pillar off so I can route the wire down to the passenger footwell, and then how to get the glove box out and where to hook up the wires down there.

Any ideas? Frustrating!

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
The A pillar cover is secured by 3 screws covered up by a long, rectangular shape upholstered cover. The screws are #20 torx screws. Remove those 3 screws and the cover pops right off.

You can secure the wires with wire ties or small clips along the edge of the A pillar. Once you have the cover off, there should be a small opening to slide the wires down through the passenger side vents. You will need to remove the passenger side vent to snake the wires down past the dash board. To remove the side vents, remove the dash trim piece by prying up with a pry bar or taped screw driver from the far right side of the trim, and pull along the bottom edge to release the trim from the clip. That should expose the two screws holding the side vents in. Remove those two screws and the side vent should wiggle free, then you can snake the wires down to the glove compartment.

Disassemble the glove compartment, release the hinge clips by unscrewing the two screws holding the hinge in on the back underneath side of the glove compartment, then remove the two screws holding a canvas strap and a hinge in on the side. There are 4-5 screws holding the entire glove compartment together along the edges. Remove those and the entire glove compartment should drop down allowing you easy access to the glove box, the power supplies behind the glove box, and your wires. The rest should be fairly simple, just identify the proper wires (I can't remember now, but I think it's either yellow/blue or green/blue) and where they're connected to, and splice into the right wire.

Good luck. I hope my instructions make some sense...It's hard without pictures. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.