BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I recently installed my V1 into my car (hardwired). Shortly after doing so, I noticed when running in A mode, I get a fairly constant X band signal (stregnth of 1) pretty much everywhere I go. I live in a fairly rural area so I have my suspicion that either my car is putting out the signal or the V1 is acting a little squirrely. I'm comparing this to when I had it mounted just above the dash (albeit for only one day) and got no random X band warnings when I was near my house. This would be on the same stretch of road where I now get constant X band alerts.

Pretty much I run it in L mode full time now which eliminates those X band warnings. It still bugs me that I keep receiving these warnings when in A mode though. Has anyone else had this issue or am I alone?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any feedback would be appreciated... I just checked again.. 10 pm, no other cars around, houses are at LEAST 1/2 mile off the road and I get a X band hit (stregnth of 1) coming from behind me about every 10-20 seconds when in A (Report all bogies) mode for about 5 miles.

There are no businesses on this stretch of road that may be impacting it.

Thanks!

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
I have X band turned off, and the K band sensitivity turned way down on my V1. I also run in L mode by default. The overwhelming majority of traffic radars where I live are Ka band.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
it's like uber sensative to X since that's what was used before and still used by a lot of police departments so i wouldn't discount X as false signals.

i think Pal Park police uses X band but Fort Ree police uses Ka.

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
I was getting what I thought were random false K-band hits with mine while on a freeway I frequent and discovered it's the band the traffic speed sensors use. There is one market in my town that sets off my k-band... I didn't know you could adjust the sensitivity on individual bands, gonna have to look into that.

I too disabled X-band.

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
jvr826 said:
I didn't know you could adjust the sensitivity on individual bands, gonna have to look into that.
I think you can just reprogram the threshhold where alerts are sounded - it has been more than 3 years since I reprogrammed my unit and I don't recall exactly what I did.

I've only had 3 K band hits that I can attribute to law enforcement: a CHP SUV in the Sierra foothills, a CHP motorcycle cop in Marin County, and an Oregon State Sherriff near Grants Pass. The rest have been the radar carts they put out to calm speeders and the traffic flow sensors.

·
Registered
529 Posts
You can turn them all off individually. Here in NYC, I turned my X band off. Most of the local PD are using the K band, or worse; laser.

You should definitely check out the stealthone unit. I set mine to auto-mute at speeds below 40mph, and using the steering wheel to mute at speeds higher than that have made the V1 so much better. It cuts back on the false alarms, so I dont ignore it when theres really something I should be watching out for.

·
\m/ (>.<) \m/
22,144 Posts
IIRC you can only adjust the sensitivity on certain bands. I don't think K is one of them...I tried recently (to reduce the false alarms from the Bay Area 511 K sensors). I've got K turned off completely because of this. I only turn it on when I leave the Bay Area.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
www.valentine1.com Info is there to customize your V1 to suit your needs including adjusting sensitivities and turning certain bands off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts