BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my v1. very nice package. instructions are clear, the unit is very complete and well thought out. I am looking forward to my weekend project of hardwiring the unit.
 

·
Casey!
Joined
·
17,665 Posts
Its awesome - enjoy and drive safely!
 

·
Keeping it surreal
Joined
·
43,281 Posts
If it`s not too much of a hassle, install an on-off switch somewhere below the top of the dash....this way, in the event you get pulled over, you can shut the unit off without reaching up to do so....a motion that can be seen from a considerable distance behind you.
I always used low-profile rocker switches....on my first BMW, I had three switches....the yellow one was for the detector (first-gen Escort), the red one killed my brake lights, and the green one was wired to activate the high-beam relay. When necessary, I could go into Full Stealth Mode, shutting off main running lights & brake lights, just using fog lights and high beams, with everything else totally blacked out. I even went so far as to remove the clear lenses for the license plate lights, painting them half black, and mounting a license plate frame that blocked the light from above, the net result being a setup that met the legal requirements of having a plate light, but there was`nt enough illumination to read the plate from more than about 20 feet away. Stealth uber alles....

Regards,
Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What a great set-up. Do you work for the NSA!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,837 Posts
330soon2b said:
What a great set-up. Do you work for the NSA!
I guess that's why he's fast Bob...:rofl:
 

·
VIII
Joined
·
8,087 Posts
Fast Bob said:
If it`s not too much of a hassle, install an on-off switch somewhere below the top of the dash....this way, in the event you get pulled over, you can shut the unit off without reaching up to do so....a motion that can be seen from a considerable distance behind you.
I always used low-profile rocker switches....on my first BMW, I had three switches....the yellow one was for the detector (first-gen Escort), the red one killed my brake lights, and the green one was wired to activate the high-beam relay. When necessary, I could go into Full Stealth Mode, shutting off main running lights & brake lights, just using fog lights and high beams, with everything else totally blacked out. I even went so far as to remove the clear lenses for the license plate lights, painting them half black, and mounting a license plate frame that blocked the light from above, the net result being a setup that met the legal requirements of having a plate light, but there was`nt enough illumination to read the plate from more than about 20 feet away. Stealth uber alles....

Regards,
Bob
:bow:
 

·
VIII
Joined
·
8,087 Posts
330soon2b said:
Just received my v1. very nice package. instructions are clear, the unit is very complete and well thought out. I am looking forward to my weekend project of hardwiring the unit.
After a week or two post a review. I'd really like to know if it's works as well as everyone says.
 

·
Newbie BMW Owner
Joined
·
143 Posts
where would one mount one of these things in a 2005 325i? is it visible? This might be the next thing i blow a wad a cash on.
 

·
Former ZHP pilot
Joined
·
884 Posts
Fast Bob said:
If it`s not too much of a hassle, install an on-off switch somewhere below the top of the dash....this way, in the event you get pulled over, you can shut the unit off without reaching up to do so....a motion that can be seen from a considerable distance behind you.
I always used low-profile rocker switches....on my first BMW, I had three switches....the yellow one was for the detector (first-gen Escort), the red one killed my brake lights, and the green one was wired to activate the high-beam relay. When necessary, I could go into Full Stealth Mode, shutting off main running lights & brake lights, just using fog lights and high beams, with everything else totally blacked out. I even went so far as to remove the clear lenses for the license plate lights, painting them half black, and mounting a license plate frame that blocked the light from above, the net result being a setup that met the legal requirements of having a plate light, but there was`nt enough illumination to read the plate from more than about 20 feet away. Stealth uber alles....

Regards,
Bob
Damn bob sounds like some kind of Knight Rider style bimmer, how many tickets have you avoided with all these gadgets?
 

·
Former ZHP pilot
Joined
·
884 Posts
330soon2b said:
Just received my v1. very nice package. instructions are clear, the unit is very complete and well thought out. I am looking forward to my weekend project of hardwiring the unit.
Congrats on V1 purchase its a must especially with a ZHP model, after living with the V1 for a year i couldnt possibly drive without it. Enjoy! :thumbup:
 

·
Grinning from ear to ear
Joined
·
2,029 Posts
Agreed - I couldn't live without the V1. In fact when mine stopped working - due to a fluke - I felt nervous driving without it. I even take it with me into loaner cars and test drives.

As for the install on any 3series, It's really a 5-10 minute job that anyone can do. You pop the panel off the roof of the car where the Universal Garage door opener would go - it pops right off - then you pop out the light cluster (where the map lights are).. Again this just pops right out with no effort. You use the special clip to tap off of one of the wires, then plug in the phone cord (power cable). That's pretty much it - at that point you plug the other end of the phone cord into the V1, and mount the V1 suction cups right next to the Rear View Mirror. That's it - voila.

Do a search around here and you'll even find full writeups with pictures. Good luck and enjoy
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top