Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body ever put a small block ford in a e36 chassis, being a retired NIASE mechanic the thought of a v8 (347 ford, stroked 302) with a trmmec 5 speed excites me. I don't worry about the mechanical part its the electrical (computer)that worries me. thoughts please

·
<-----Sweet Jesus!
519 Posts
Your about to get flamed hard buddy.....:flame:
But if your going to do it, i'll buy your engine and tranny and computer!!!!!!

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
Supercharger :D

·
M status achieved!
1,839 Posts
Your about to get flamed hard buddy.....:flame:
But if your going to do it, i'll buy your engine and tranny and computer!!!!!!
The only reason I'd flame him is for putting a Ford engine into it. I've had very bad experiences with Ford's and their shoddy engines and GM reject transmissions.

IMO, for the cost of putting that M3 engine into your car, you could have an LS1 in it making 1 1/2 times the hp and torque and weighing about 50 lbs less and 100% reliable to boot. After the day at the track we could then see who's getting flamed!

When it all comes down to it, the make doesn't matter, it's the performance that counts.

·
Dale Crane is the MAN!
871 Posts
No reason to get flamed at all!

Myself and a bunch of friends threw an Ellis Juan into an FD RX7 :) Although thats a common swap.

*sigh* I wish I had the resources of getting an V8 :(

·
<<<Buddy
876 Posts
The only reason I'd flame him is for putting a Ford engine into it. I've had very bad experiences with Ford's and their shoddy engines and GM reject transmissions.
IMO, for the cost of putting that M3 engine into your car, you could have an LS1 in it making 1 1/2 times the hp and torque and weighing about 50 lbs less and 100% reliable to boot. After the day at the track we could then see who's getting flamed!

When it all comes down to it, the make doesn't matter, it's the performance that counts.
But my (auto) transmission is a GM made for BMW....proof: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-4...8190109QQihZ013QQcategoryZ33727QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
heard of a guy over here putting a V8 from one of the 7 series into an E30. So I reckon if anything, get a BMW V8 engine and stick that in.. at least with the BMW crowd you'll never get flamed for that and can say you have a BMW M3 with V8.. a BMW V8. :)

·
Dale Crane is the MAN!
871 Posts
heard of a guy over here putting a V8 from one of the 7 series into an E30. So I reckon if anything, get a BMW V8 engine and stick that in.. at least with the BMW crowd you'll never get flamed for that and can say you have a BMW M3 with V8.. a BMW V8. :)
Some shop in Swe installed a V8 block from a 540i6 into an E30 also. Fun times!!

The damn thing was boosted also LOL :yikes:

·
M status achieved!
1,839 Posts
Gm has some great trannies no doubt. The ford one in particular is the AX4N and the AX4S. Both were made for GM and rejected by them. Ford decided that they were perfectly fine for the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable, and a few other cars. The V8 SHO got the AX4N a nightmare transmission to say the least. the planetary gears get ZERO lubrication and last 100K miles AT BEST! Mine grenaded at 101K, replaced with a used one with 40K miles and a 30 warranty, grenaded again 2K miles later. Sold the car with a bad tranny.

·
Dale Crane is the MAN!
871 Posts
HAHAHAH the good old AX4N LOL!

That tranny is absolutely hilarious, its such a joke of a piece!

·
Still here
12,188 Posts
I will not flame, however do believe that BMW's should have BMW engines in them. But that is me and as it is your car, you can put what you like in it buddy :thumbup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Being new to this forum, I just stumbled aross this thread. I have nearly finished (either cleverly or stupidly - depending on how you look at it) dropping a 302 Windsor into an E36.
Here's a few pic's from a couple of weeks ago. The fuel injection is now fitted and after a few fiddly bits I'll be shipping it back to Brisbane to get stuck into the body work and interior. No pic's of the body, it's too embarrassing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This my friend is a touchy subject. The die hard BMW guys will tell you no way, swap in a BMW v8 if your going to do it. Myself however, being the owner of three e36 cars right now, and have a bid in for a 4th one, say go for it. Don't get me wrong, I love the reliability and handling of these cars, but I like things out of the ordinary too. I am placing a low bid right now on a 318 that has a blown headgasket, and if I get it, it will be lt1 swapped. This, however, will be a project that my daughter and I can build together. Just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
688 Posts
That's awesome dude, go for it. No need for the M3 engine stick a 302 in it. However, an LS or LT would have been even nicer.

·
Fireballs inc.
9,256 Posts
Being new to this forum, I just stumbled aross this thread. I have nearly finished (either cleverly or stupidly - depending on how you look at it) dropping a 302 Windsor into an E36.
Here's a few pic's from a couple of weeks ago. The fuel injection is now fitted and after a few fiddly bits I'll be shipping it back to Brisbane to get stuck into the body work and interior. No pic's of the body, it's too embarrassing.

now im not a fan of muscle but this is great fab work going on!!!:wow:

can i please get more pictures of the exhaust and clearance on it as well :)

Its deff against the grain and will have power if built right:dunno:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Looks good, lets see some pics with the fuel injection put on. did you fab up the mounts or get them from e36v8.com ? also would like to know more bout the exhaust. i recently got the engine and trans out of my old notchback so when this german turd fails i will have something to swap in the car.

anyhow the swap looks good....more info please

1 - 20 of 139 Posts