1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Keeping it surreal
43,083 Posts
Welcome aboard !

A few suggestions:

Read the Sticky Threads for this Forum

Read the E46 Wiki

Get yourself some type of scanner device, you`ll find many available for not a lot of money

Make yourself a smoke machine to check for those devious vacuum leaks (cheap & easy to do, you`ll find lots of DIY videos on YouTube which will show you how to make one)

·
Registered
797 Posts
Where is the sound coming from? If in the front it could be a pulley bearing. I heard kind of a chirping sound.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Also with it running take a can of wd-40 and spray the bearing part of accessible pulleys. They will quiet down temporarily.

Besides that Fast Bob has the best advice. Start with codes. A vacuum leak should give you a code. It could also be an intake leak. If there is no code it could be an intake leak before the MAF sensor.

Start with codes, and a smoke tester

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
2 Posts
Car(e46 02 330i) makes high pitch noise when on idle, kinda sounds like a computer fan that is dying or needs to be cleaned. possible vacuum leak?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3hVxJuZEHM
Hard to tell but I would suggest checking the O ring that goes on the DISA valve. The DISA is a box that plugs into the intake manifold. I have replaced the original one with Viton coated one and had to replace that one again as well; good thing I ordered 2 the first time.

I would check some DIYs on that as it is easy enough to do however you have to take care with the pin that holds the flap on the valve as I hear they can fall off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts