BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Stephanie
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a 2001 BMW 325i, and my service engine soon light has been on for a long time. When I bought the car I lived about 100 miles from a BMW dealership so I always assumed the light was on because I always had my oil changed at the local farmers co op. They didn't have any of the fancy equipment to check my engine light or to turn them off. Now...about a year and a half later...I live in Edmond, Oklahoma, and I heard that Auto Zone would hook up a computer and check why your lights are on for free. So last night I went with a friend of mine to Auto Zone and the computer said that I have a "large vacuum leak." :(

My 1993 318is had a vacuum leak too though. I remember that I could hear the air escaping somewhere in the engine, and my car wouldn't idle, it would just die if I didn't give it gas constantly. (It turned out to be the vacuum hose and something to do with the idling wire which was about an $800 fix :( ). On my 325i I can't tell if it's a bunch of air coming out somewhere or if it's just being noisy, and it idles by itself. However, sometimes when it idles the RPMs gage will go up just a little bit and then it goes back down to normal. On occasion though it will go up and down a few times before it stays steady....if it stays steady. It has been starting and getting me place to place for the whole 20,000 miles that it's been doing this. So it's either not a big deal, or my car just loves me.

I did look up forums to check for vacuum leaks, but I don't have any of the materials required or the space. I just have a small parking space at my apartment. I'm not experienced in dealing with mechanical problems, and I really can't afford for the dealership to molest my bank account. If any of you festers live in or around the Edmond/Oklahoma City area, I'd love to met up and let you check out my car. I'd even take you out for dinner.

Danekschön

· Aficionado
3,058 Posts

· Coupe OR Never
1,447 Posts
I have never heard of a computer telling how large the vacuum leak is. Yes some vacuum leaks may be large but that Autozone thingy will not know that.
Did you get P0171 P0174?
If so, start with checking the intake boots(search the forum for torn intake boots) and then clean your MAF sensor with CRC Airflow sensor cleaner.
These two are very cheap to perfrom...
This forum has tons of info about vacuum leaks...

· Registered
309 Posts
If the code really did differentiate small/large leak, I'd say it's more likely you have a problem with the EVAP system than intake vacuum. For a large EVAP leak, always check the gas gap for proper tightness. If that's OK, you will need to take it somewhere with the proper diagnostic equipment.

But as already mentioned, you need to know the SAE format code. P0XXX.

· Stephanie
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the Auto Zone guy said, "It says you have a large vacuum leak." So I assumed he was right. I'll do some more looking around though.

· ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts
:thumbdwn:
+1. All you need them for is the codes, then walk away and pay them no attention. My guess is the p0174 or p0171. Usually caused by the rubber boots for your throttle body cracking. Easy and cheap to fix.

· Registered
2,366 Posts
I am often in OKC on business, and driving a small imported car (such as your BMW) can be a challenge in an area where large American pickup trucks and SUV's are the norm. Finding someone competent to work on your BMW is an even bigger challenge.

First, you have a BMW dealer right there in Edmond. It is:
Jackie Cooper Imports
14145 Broadway Ext
Edmond, OK 73013-4120
Phone: 405-755-3600
Fax: 405-755-9069
My experience with them has been limited, but positive.

Second, The BMW Car Club of America has an Oklahoma chapter. It is called the Sunbelt Chapter, and made up of Oklahoma BMW enthusiasts. Here is the address of the national website, go to chapter contacts, and click on the Sunbelt Chapter (I am doing this from memory, so I hope it works). www.bmwcca.org

:drive:

· Registered
2 Posts
I was gong up my drive way the other day and my friend ripped my ebrake and right after that the service engine soon light came on so I took it to autozone I have codes p0102,p0174,p0313 they gave me a bunch of thingnit could be any idea what it could be?

· Seek to understand,^Value
25,378 Posts
I was gong up my drive way the other day and my friend ripped my ebrake and right after that the service engine soon light came on so I took it to autozone I have codes p0102,p0174,p0313 they gave me a bunch of thingnit could be any idea what it could be?
I realize this is an ancient thread, so, I just point you here, 'cuz it has lots of easy to understand pictures of your problem!
- One user's convoluted quest to find & fix persistent intermittent misfire set of lean condition vacuum leaks P0313 P0300 P1353 P1083 P1085 P1351 P0171 P0174 (1)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.