BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So 2 bloody weeks have gone by since this thread

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281124

and I still haven't moved my lazy butt to get this done. Research shows that people who run the the wire through the ashtray for concealed display will do the fusebox install.

Can someone please share some information abt that? What is the fusebox install, pros/ cons, is it DIY etc.

Cheers

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
I don't understand why you need to do a fusebox install when you'll have the V1 on the window, high by the mirror for best results. Power and ground easily available behind the moonroof control panel, takes a matter of minutes to hook up the distribution block and run the 4-conductor phone wire from it to your V1.

Then you run the other 4-conductor phone wire under the headliner at the windshield, just tuck it in there with your fingers or something small and non-sharp, like the butt end of an adjustable wrench - that's what I used...

Then tuck the phone cable under the top edge of the a-pillar, at the roof, then inside the weather stripping channel along the door frame (pull it up and tuck it in, real easy), then under the dash and into the center console IF that's where you want it. I prefer mine on the instrument cluster.

Any 4-conductor phone cable will work. I used the supplied cables, both were plenty long enough for my needs. In my former E39 I had to extend one of them and I either used a 2-female junction box, or used a long wire and cut it to length and put a new connector on the end - i have one of those network/phone connector tool thingies.

If you really want it in the ash tray, you need to fish the wire to that location, remove the ash tray, make a hole in it to feed the connector thru, then double stick tape it in there. I don't see the point, you don't look at your ash tray when your V1 goes off, you look at your speedo. Why not just put it by the speedo?

Hope that helps. If you print and bring this to your car, have a look see, you'll see what I'm talking about and it's quite simple to route the wire for the remote display to the instrument cluster. You do need to remove the underside panel for easier access. It has a few screws, couple plastic doohickies, and the piece on the steering column to get the wire to pop out on top. If you want it to the center console, no need to remove the piece on the steering column at all. There's TONS of room under the center console. I have a full sized garage remote control tucked under there for my ghetto UGDO installation.

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Some pics...

At the windshield, the phone wire comes out from behind the mirror point and is tucked under the headliner to the area where I have the V1 mounted on the windshield. When I take the V1 out, for security or track days, I tuck the wire under the sun visor... (Pollen! Gotta love living among the trees!!!)

The wire feed for the remote display heads the other direction, towards the driver side A-Pillar, then under the cover for the side airbag. I did not remove this cover, just tucked it under at this point...

Then the wire runs down the side under this trim piece, the dark gray piece, not the black. I used a flathead screwdriver at the top to get my finger under and pull it out enough to feed the wire in there, then worked my way down to the bottom and up under the dash...

Remote display on the instrument cluster with 3M double sided squares. No cutting was required, I just popped the under side cover of the steering column out enough to fish the wire up to that location - it was not necessary to remove it completely...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suppose you are right... its just that putting it away from the panel doesn't detract the looks of instrument cluster. Practically... I can't argue with you here. Kris said the same point some time back.

I can't find a way to fish the wire to ashtray location after bringing it down along A-pillar. Any suggestions from where I might be able to run it?

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
I can't find a way to fish the wire to ashtray location after bringing it down along A-pillar. Any suggestions from where I might be able to run it?
Yes, you need to remove the panel covers UNDER the driver side, where your feet go, and run it over that way. You will probably have to take out the ashtray/storage area above it to get the wire in. I have nav so mine is a bit different.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Yes, you need to remove the panel covers UNDER the driver side, where your feet go, and run it over that way. You will probably have to take out the ashtray/storage area above it to get the wire in. I have nav so mine is a bit different.
Yep, its easy. Sunglasses holder pops right out, two screws up behind it, another two screws at the base of it that is accessible after removing the shift console.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have nav too!

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In that case, climate control pops right out.
How is the climate control related to gear shift area? Are we talking climate control display or something else? :confused:

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
How is the climate control related to gear shift area? Are we talking climate control display or something else? :confused:
We're talking about getting access to the underside of the ashtray so you can drill a hole for the remote display wire.

In order to get access to the underside of the ashtray, you need to remove the ashtray carrier. The ashtray carrier piece is also what the climate control snaps into. It's held in place by four screws - two screws at the top, located just behind the climate control (you can use a butterknife to pop the climate control unit out from the side to access these screws) and two screws at the bottom, which are covered by the gear shift console. Remove shift boot, remove two screws that just became visible and you'll then be able to remove the shift console to access the ashtray carrier bottom screws.

Sounds complex but it really only takes 2 minutes to get it all apart.

Hardest part is popping the four wiring harnesses out of the back of the climate control.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts