BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
xclone, I like where that one is mounted. Was it easy to mount it there? I am assuming it is wired directly to the electrical as apposed to the lighter.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yes it is.. its fairly easy to do. Used a fuse accessory tap to wire it into the fusebox in the glove compartment. Used a butter knife to gently pry the healiner out enough to run the wire down the passenger side pillar and up into the glove box.

More pictures are available here:

I can PM you specifics or just walk you through on the phone if you would like. With the dremeling of the remote indicator and trying to figure out where to put it, the whole job took about 2 hours.

->edit<- I should add this is a completly non-destructive method. No wire cutting, no taping, etc. I choose this method instead of the sunroof power method as I had read on other complications arising from those installs.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Cool.. if you don't have the remote indicator, it's more like a 45 minute job. Getting the wire from the glovebox to the drivers side took a little ingenuity.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I remember seeing a mod where they have it inside the box thing in front of the sunroof. It's hidden very well. Don't remember where I saw it though. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

·
Registered
872 Posts
lex89 said:
I remember seeing a mod where they have it inside the box thing in front of the sunroof. It's hidden very well. Don't remember where I saw it though. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
yes I saw that as well, i thought it was a nice idea, he did indicate some reception loss as I recall.

I have mine on the passenger visor with the stealthone. I ran the power line through the openning on the courtesy light above the visor. You dont see any wires at all. I can still remove and use in the other car. A definate mod i would suggest, that thing has saved my @ss many times.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
ZM Blue Devil said:
yes I saw that as well, i thought it was a nice idea, he did indicate some reception loss as I recall.

I have mine on the passenger visor with the stealthone. I ran the power line through the openning on the courtesy light above the visor. You dont see any wires at all. I can still remove and use in the other car. A definate mod i would suggest, that thing has saved my @ss many times.
+1

stealthone FTW!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Is this the one that sends back a faulty reading to the cop as well??

Also, how much does this thing gonna set me back if I decide to get it?

·
Registered
168 Posts
V1

Be careful, being current Law Enforcement Officer (no jokes, please) much of the radar/ladar/lazer equip we use will tell us if you have a detector that has "jamming" capabilities, and yes, like everything else, there is another charge possible for that "capability". Just a word of warning...if I can give you any other inside tips,...let me know!

Usually detectors work to alert you that someone else has been snagged!!LOL So be careful if there is no other traffic around!

·
Registered
872 Posts
rlwilliams3 said:
Be careful, being current Law Enforcement Officer (no jokes, please) much of the radar/ladar/lazer equip we use will tell us if you have a detector that has "jamming" capabilities, and yes, like everything else, there is another charge possible for that "capability". Just a word of warning...if I can give you any other inside tips,...let me know!

Usually detectors work to alert you that someone else has been snagged!!LOL So be careful if there is no other traffic around!
Oh come on you cant get off that easily after a post like that.

What is the best(in terms of humor) excuse you heard for speeding and the most important part did it work?:D

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am having a hard time wording this, but is there an amount over the posted limit in which they suggest you pull people over? For instance, you could pull me over for doing 66 in a 65, but what's the point?

I hope the way I worded it wasn't too confusing...

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
spiker322 said:
I am having a hard time wording this, but is there an amount over the posted limit in which they suggest you pull people over? For instance, you could pull me over for doing 66 in a 65, but what's the point?

I hope the way I worded it wasn't too confusing...
Completely dependent on the jurisdiction, the color of the officer's hair, how hungry he is, etc.

What's the point in pulling you over for 66 in a 65? The same point he'd have if you were going 80: You're exceeding the maximum posted speed and therefore breaking the law.

...another vote for the hardwired V1 and StealthOne by the way. Having the V1 auto-mute if you're going < X MPH (default:30) simply rocks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Basically, and I don't mean to steal the thread...any amount over is "citable"...such as 1 mph over. Personally, I do not stop a car for less than 11 over (costs 3 points in KY) 11-15 over, 3 pts, 16-20 over 6 pts, and so on...26 or more over is Mandatory Court and OL suspension...and the best excuses I have heard were from female operators...such as "my time of the month, and "my friend is knocking"...etc. Usually the excuses don't work, because it is easy to tell when someone is being honest, usually.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If someone pulled you over for 66 in a 65, all he/she is looking for is P.C. to get in the car, (probable Cause) I am entering law enforcement, was a police cadet for 4 years at the local P.D.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
Wethington325I said:
If someone pulled you over for 66 in a 65, all he/she is looking for is P.C. to get in the car, (probable Cause) I am entering law enforcement, was a police cadet for 4 years at the local P.D.
i'll pull out the PP (hehe.. i said PP.. lol) card: probable profiling.

·
Registered
676 Posts
rlwilliams3 said:
Basically, and I don't mean to steal the thread...any amount over is "citable"...such as 1 mph over. Personally, I do not stop a car for less than 11 over (costs 3 points in KY) 11-15 over, 3 pts, 16-20 over 6 pts, and so on...26 or more over is Mandatory Court and OL suspension...and the best excuses I have heard were from female operators...such as "my time of the month, and "my friend is knocking"...etc. Usually the excuses don't work, because it is easy to tell when someone is being honest, usually.
So how would you rate "My radar detector didn't go off in time" as far as an honest excuse and your perogative to let them off with a warning? :p

spiker322 said:
Is this the one that sends back a faulty reading to the cop as well??
Also, how much does this thing gonna set me back if I decide to get it?
No, the V1/stealth one module is pure laser, POP, Radar detector. The Stealth unit integrates the readings into the nav system.

The V1 will run about $400 and the stealth one about $199 (I think).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts