BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone hard-wired a Valentine1 to an X3 M40i ?
I take delivery in a few weeks and will want to install my V1.
Thanks.

·
Certified Car Nut
210 Posts
I had one hard wired to my '19 3.0 should be identical. I paid to have it done by a local stereo shop. I think that it was $75 or so. I supplied all of the connectors, cables, and fuses. I had them install install the remote display over the wireless charger spot. The fuse box is in the passenger side footwell so it worked out perfectly. Valentine does offer an option that I have seen but am unable to find it that helps suppress the turning on and turning off when the vehicle auto stops and starts at traffic signals. I recommend installing that as well.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I had one hard wired to my '19 3.0 should be identical. I paid to have it done by a local stereo shop. I think that it was $75 or so. I supplied all of the connectors, cables, and fuses. I had them install install the remote display over the wireless charger spot. The fuse box is in the passenger side footwell so it worked out perfectly. Valentine does offer an option that I have seen but am unable to find it that helps suppress the turning on and turning off when the vehicle auto stops and starts at traffic signals. I recommend installing that as well.
You can eliminate that feature by turning it off by the start button. It doesn't do much.

Joe:)

·
Certified Car Nut
210 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks to all you guys.
yes, Valentine makes a BOB, brown out button, to avoid the restart issue. Personally, in my wife's car, we've turned off the auto-off feature as Closem Joe suggested. BMW says engine and electronics designed to accommodate constant on/off, but I'm old school and just can't see how all that off/restart is good for the engine. Minimal gas saving, imho.

We put my wife's V1 into her 2018 X5, work done by a Santa Rosa shop, CPS Stereo, now apparently closed. They did a great job. Used a Rostra unit instead of the BOB. Works great, as in her former car the V1 would come on with the ignition, then turn off/on when the engine was started. The minimal delay in the V! when the X5 starts is not an issue. But we do disable the off/restart thing.

That on/off again at starting did bug me in her former Lexus. Also in my now sold C4$. Lived with a double V1 start up for years, glad to say no problem caused to either V1.

Re the install, a now-retired local private stereo installer wired a V1 up by the rearview mirror, with remote unit on the dash at the windshield in line with the steering wheel, in my old 911SC. He did the same with the V1 and a remote unit down by the console cubby hole in my old 996 C4$. With a new M40i on the way, I'm getting a jump start on V1 placement and install. Mandatory, oui?

Thanks for this warm welcome to Bimmerfest. jl

·
Certified Car Nut
210 Posts
I was not able to post a picture, but BMW gave us a perfect place for the hidden display to mount just under the climate control stack. There is a nice flat surface that is recessed just enough to keep the unit nice tucked up, and out of the way, yet visible, and handy to mute easily.
Enjoy your new ride, I hope that you love it as much as we love ours.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
took delivery on Friday. M40i is everything I had hoped. Very fun to drive.
I almost forgot this is an suv.
only glitch is that anywhere on the windshield I put the V1 the laser warning kept going off.
Has this happened to any one else? Any suggestions?
Cheers,

·
Stuart in Houston
649 Posts
only glitch is that anywhere on the windshield I put the V1 the laser warning kept going off.
This was one of the first things I noticed and posted when I bought mine last October. This forum educated me... it's the gesture control, it makes the laser warning go off.

It emits interference even if you have gesture control OFF. :eek: I turned laser off to stop the false warnings.

I'd be curious... has anyone found a way to stop the gesture control emissions? Even if it involved covering the emitters? I don't use GC, and if it's a clean fix (ie, not duct tape covered ;)), I'd be interested.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I admit to having fun with gesture control. New toy, etc .... I had it off with same laser issue on V1 as was noted.
I***8217;ll turn off the laser on V1 and report back next week.
Or sooner if my spouse lets me out again. Typical new car obsessions. Cheers

·
Certified Car Nut
210 Posts
I don't have gesture control on my X3 3.0 so I can not speak for interference. I do know that about the only time I see a laser warning, there is a generally a GM SUV type in the vicinity. For some reason the brake lights set off the V1 laser detection.
humm...:dunno:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I got out to the garage and tried the solution of turning off the V1 laser. It worked. Thanks to all.
Ps: I***8217;d previously turned off the k-band junk fighter. There is some laser where I live, but being able. to use the V1 for Ka was my goal.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,163 Posts
i covered over the gesture control emitter with matte black gaffers tape. its the dome shaped portion of the overhead console behind the sunroof switch.
dont think you can just unplug it without throwing an error.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good to know. Could be a good alternative on longer road trips when laser warning more needed. Any issue with repeated tape on and off? Maybe turn off gesture and then tape. Pic would be great if possible. Cheers,

·
Stuart in Houston
649 Posts
i covered over the gesture control emitter with matte black gaffers tape. its the dome shaped portion of the overhead console behind the sunroof switch.
dont think you can just unplug it without throwing an error.
Pic would be great if possible. Cheers,
Agree, if you could post a pic, would be much appreciated!

·
Flying monkey herder
8,163 Posts
First pic is the emitters that are setting off the laser detection. Second pic is what you need to cover to stop the falsing without disabling laser.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
found a good spot to be a hardwire. Will put main unit up by rearview morrow. Need to think about remote switch location, or just go without it. Marty Berry knows what to do and and his shop, Custom Mobile Electronics, is near Novato, and seems to be able to do a good job. I'll be contacting them in the near future.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
V1 getting wired in on Tuesday. Solved laser problem, so far, by covering rear laser antenna on V1. Per posts noted on other forum thread. I think I can live without laser warning from behind pointed at from behind. most handheld guns I've seen are pointed at oncoming cars. anyone have any positive/negative experiences with this issue?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just posted this on the other relevant thread:

astroship, and others, I can say I'm duly chagrined. I taped the rear facing laser antenna on my V1 and thought I had solved my problem. It sits now down low on the windshield, but I'm getting it wired in on Tuesday and it will be up on the windshield by the rear-view mirror. I held it up, rear antenna taped, and the laser went off. I was somewhat p---ed. So for now laser is turned off on V1. I need to do a self eval-how useful is the GC to me anyway. Cheers to all.

Orient, your solution will be next if it bugs me more to be without laser than the benefit I get from the GC.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First pic is the emitters that are setting off the laser detection. Second pic is what you need to cover to stop the falsing without disabling laser.
Pics are appreciated. Thanks

·
Stuart in Houston
649 Posts
I somehow missed this post the first time around. I thought the emitters were on the rearview mirror. I will tape this area tomorrow, and try turning laser back on.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts