BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did this replacement a month ago and still have an oil leak... Tore it back down, ordered new gasket...

But the question is... Use RTV this time or no....

And go... Thoughts?

·
Registered
2015 BMW X5 Xdrive35i M 2013 BMW X5 Xdrive35i
1,204 Posts
Did you replace the cover at the same time?

Reactions: HotGrbg

·
Registered
598 Posts
Haven't seen the TIS for N55. However the BMW engines I did work on require rtv only in a few places mainly the half moons in the back.

I just watched a video on any Valvetronic motor with the eccentric sensor built into the VC;

If the engine is old enough change the sensor preventively since you'll have to change the VCG yet again if it fails.

Pay very particular directions to the steps including scotch bright clean all surfaces and torque and new bolts when needed (n52 I think has single use bolts for VCG).

Don't reuse any rubber gaskets (not sure if that engine has). (of course from a couple months ago you can as long as that's not where the current leak is from).

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
On thé M54 the recommendation is to use a touch on the half moons. 6 years since I replaced it and no leaks.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Question for those saying use it on the Half moons...

I have used spray adhesive to hold the gasket into the cover while seating, should I use the rtv on the actual gasket or on the head?

My thoughts would be to use it on the gasket, let it cure a little and then reinstall the valve cover?

Thanks for the input btw.... Quite grateful to all of you...

·
Registered
2013 X5 E70 N55
284 Posts
I have used this with great success on BMW gaskets.

A little messy, but amazing. Available local to me, as well.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Apply RTV either on the head cover or the gasket (makes no difference). I’d apply it lightly the groove of the head cover (that’s what I did). Then put the head cover back in place, hand tight the bolts, and let it sit several hours (best overnight).

Once RTV is cured, take a quick look at it and the gasket, apply RTV if/where needed, and torque bolts to specs.

This way you will have a chance to inspect the cylinder head once more before tightening the bolts, for any big chunks of RTV drops that might have fallen into the engine (although it wouldn’t damage, since it will get filtered out).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have read about people having problems with aftermarket covers. Seems some come warped from the factory. It might just be that you got one of those.

·
Registered
2013 X5 E70 N55
284 Posts
A cheap inspection mirror and a flashlight works wonders for checking your work before setting the bolts down. imho

·
Registered
2013 X5 E70 N55
284 Posts
I have read about people having problems with aftermarket covers. Seems some come warped from the factory. It might just be that you got one of those.
I learned my lesson and bit the bullet with an OE valve cover. I don’t normally pay that sort of a premium on parts - but, in this case, it matters.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nah I went with Genuine BMW, but thank you for the idea.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Well, let's face it, BMW do have "off days" and so do their suppliers. I know I had two covers done recently and I went OE for both. When I worked on my vehicles back in the day I always liked a little gasket goop to help mate everything together. Never had a leak. I cannot explain why a modern expensive car should have so many gasket failure problems unless it is to generate revenue for dealers. Hope it all goes back together for you without leaks or other problems.

Reactions: Dekero

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My cheap inspection mirror has a built in flashlight.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well it's back together, I used 90 minute red RTV on it and it's running fine now... Too early to tell if the leak continues or not as I am having flash burn off of oil that leaked during the job... Once that disipates we shall see if I actually got it right this time...

Thanks everyone for your input and support!

Ken

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, let's face it, BMW do have "off days" and so do their suppliers. I know I had two covers done recently and I went OE for both. When I worked on my vehicles back in the day I always liked a little gasket goop to help mate everything together. Never had a leak. I cannot explain why a modern expensive car should have so many gasket failure problems unless it is to generate revenue for dealers. Hope it all goes back together for you without leaks or other problems.
Yeah I agree this car definitely has its laundry list of "Issues" that seem to constantly need tending to... I've done more general maintenance on this truck than I've done on any before it... I'm just grateful to be able to perform almost all of it myself... Haven't had anything come up I couldn't do yet... And by laundry list.. I mean

Oil filter housing gasket
Valve cover gasket and cover
Plugs and coils
Replaced the overflow tank
Replaced the serp belt and all pulleys
Replaced the vanos solenoids
Changed fluid in both diffs and the transfer case
Replaced the transmission filter and fluid
Replaced the brakes and rotors and sensors
New tires twice

As well as upgraded the audio with 2 -12s and an amp
Replaced all the bulbs with Leds
Added a JB4 programmer
And an AFE cold air intake

And changed the oil about 8 times so far...

All in 65k miles... She's sitting at 132k now and I hope to keep her running well past 250k+

And honestly it's all been worth it...cuz this thing is a blast to drive. LOL

Dekero...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Well I left my wife's X5 with an indy to do OFHG, OCG & VC &G back in November 2020. There were other small things but nothing too complex. We got the X back nearly 6 months later with a rebuilt motor. "Something" went wrong. We are still chasing small annoying issues like all the power steering hoses needing to be replaced. Now it is going to another guy I know to have the exhaust/front end checked to find out what the rattle is that we did not have before. I'm glad I did not have to pay for the engine.
Agree. The driving makes it all worthwhile.

·
Registered
2013 X5 E70 N55
284 Posts
Well I left my wife's X5 with an indy to do OFHG, OCG & VC &G back in November 2020. There were other small things but nothing too complex. We got the X back nearly 6 months later with a rebuilt motor. "Something" went wrong. We are still chasing small annoying issues like all the power steering hoses needing to be replaced. Now it is going to another guy I know to have the exhaust/front end checked to find out what the rattle is that we did not have before. I'm glad I did not have to pay for the engine.
Agree. The driving makes it all worthwhile.
Yeah, that shop likely did not prime the oil system. Generally, people are so very stupid - it is amazing many of these shops can stay in business. right?!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
That was my guess also but they claimed they had primed it and that it was SOP. Sounded like a lifter problem, Diagnosed as a broken ring. At that point they stepped up and took care of the engine replacement. Mistakes happen but it was a period of nearly 6 months watching as it made the rounds to pin down the problem. So now we are running in the "new" engine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts