BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I have to get the valve cover nut seals when I purchase a valve cover gasket for a 99 528i with sports pkg? And also, anyone changed a valve cover gasket on 528i? It seems to me most of the inputs on this forum about valve cover gasket replacement is for 540i BMWs.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Do I have to get the valve cover nut seals when I purchase a valve cover gasket for a 99 528i with sports pkg? And also, anyone changed a valve cover gasket on 528i? It seems to me most of the inputs on this forum about valve cover gasket replacement is for 540i BMWs.
Yes, buy new rubber washers for the nuts.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I changed my Vanos seals and Valve cover gaskets last weekend.. Its a pretty straight forward job, and yes you should change the gaskets on the washers too. At Bayside BMW in NY, I paid $33 fo the Valve cover gaskets and a few bucks fo the washer gaskets.

·
livin the 'Fest
4,280 Posts
i takes about 30 mins if your any good to change the valve cover gaskets.it's pretty straight forward. and why is it i can't find any thing on the single vanus seals?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I understand that the single vanos repair is much more complicated than the double. It was suggested to actually change the single vanos unit with a rebuilt from Beisan Systems rather than rebuild the one in the car. Also it was said that special tools are needed for replacing the unit which can easily be rented from Beisan. They also offer excellent instructions for a DIY. All this is from what I've read. I have no first-hand experience, however.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I did the double vanos last weekend and it was a moderate task as long as you follow the directions from Beisan Systems, however i agree with the post above and I also heard that the single vanos is a lot more difficult.

·
livin the 'Fest
4,280 Posts
well see that's the thing, i click on the link above, and i can't find anything else other than info on the double vanos. from what i read here it's the double vanos that seems to have issues, just wanted to know what the single ones's have.

·
Sandlapper Chapter
2,912 Posts
well see that's the thing, i click on the link above, and i can't find anything else other than info on the double vanos. from what i read here it's the double vanos that seems to have issues, just wanted to know what the single ones's have.
Do a web search for Dr. Vanos and that will help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vanos

It seems to me that this Vanos problem occurs mostly on 540i and M5 bimmers. I am thinking about replacing it as well, however where the heck do I get those special tools to hold the timing in place and remove the Vano seal? Also, my car just hit 65k miles, do you guyz think I should hold off on replacing the infamous vanos or go head and replace it once and for all? Please correct me if I am wrong but I don't see a lot of 99 528i bimmers having Vanos problem. Let me know what you all think. This vanos issues has been around for a while on the 3 series and M5 bimmers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
No special tools required, no holding timing in place, and I'd be shocked if your seals have not failed. Again, go to http://www.beisansystems.com/ and do some reading on the issue. I have a 99 528it, and have been following the VANOS issue for years, and replaced my seals last fall when they became available.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes PJB

Yeah PJB, quite a low mile on it. I just got this car like 6 month ago with 58k miles on it. It was parked for almost 2 years and the guy sold it to me for a steal price. I wasn't much into Bimmers before but now I am glad my other car broke down on me and I got this one. I drove my other car which was a 97 maxima for 6 years and put 205k mile on it (powerful car). Plus one other reason I got this Bimmer was because I wanted to go back driving manual. I am glad I was introduced to bimmers. They are one of a kind but german engineering is weird. They love to complicate everything and leave the simple things out. However, it is that kind of attitude that makes them build this unlimate driving machines. I guess that is also why my first LOVE is a Benz S-class (my choice S550 white). I hope I am not boring u with my little life story here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts