Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just talked with an old friend recently. He's the one who came up with the Vanos seal Mod which really just changed the material from Buta composite's to Vinton composite. While BMW hasn't stated that this has ever been a problem, BMW for some reason has now changed their composite for their OEM valve cover gaskets , from Buta,,to Vinton material.
With that said,,my friend stated that if one were to use the new gaskets, from BMW,,one shouldn't ever need to do the valve cover gasket again. The Vinton will last the life of the car.
Looks like I need to find a BMW dealership that sells parts at a reduced cost--getting ready to do my Vanos seals on my new engine during the Christmas break--and going to make sure what I work on , never needs to be worked on again.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Those would actually be called buna-n (nitrile rubber) vs. DuPont Viton(TM) fluoroelastomer synthetic rubber

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Wish I would have known about this valve cover gasket a week ago.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
Wish I would have known about this valve cover gasket a week ago.
Here is the information from Rajaie that Poolman is likely referencing ...(which is the reference from Doru)...

I put Poolman's and Doru's pointers into the canonical thread for which valve cover gasket to buy ... and, since Gloeckler is the VCG OEM, it also went into the OEM thread:
- Which VCG brand to buy (1) & what BMW E39 parts & supplies are most often recommended to buy OEM from a dealer or sponsor (1)

Here's a chart posted to the thread Poolman & Doru referenced ...

However, there is some debate whether Victor Reinz is the OEM and whether the new VCGs are indeed Viton (or similar)...

See also:
- How to replace the E39 V8 valve cover gasket (1) & how to replace the E39 I6 VCG (1) & which VCG brand to buy (1) & what VCG lubricants to use (1) & what can go wrong when replacing the VCG valve cover gasket which may cause subsequent plastic engine cover leaks (1)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ragaie stated that the change over with these gaskets was a little over a year ago. Don't know how he came up with that,,but took it as he knows. Long story short,,nothing but BMW gaskets will do, unless we find the after market has switched the composites that they are using.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Good news for people who like having a chioce, OEM is not the only Vinton game in town. FelPro valve cover gaskets for a 540i are real, gen-u-ine Vinton, not some cheap BMW knockoff material! :bigpimp:

doc

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Just check the Beisan website. The part numbers are listed there.

Bought mine from getbmwparts.com, which is a dealer. Hopefully I got the Viton material. If not, oh well.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just finished mine with the Elring from ECS Tuning. I hope it wasn't a waste of time. I just contacted ECS Tuning but they have no idea what it's made from. Just sent an email to Elring.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Elring responded back (very quickly) that their gasket is made of Vamac (Also from Dupont)

Difference between Vamac and Viton

So my edit is this: less than a year later, my VCG's are leaking and look like they're disintegrating. Don't go with the Elring.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Just check the Beisan website. The part numbers are listed there.

Bought mine from getbmwparts.com, which is a dealer. Hopefully I got the Viton material. If not, oh well.
The p/n's Raj has listed are the same #'s BMW has been using for years. Did BMW just change the material and keep the same p/n?
11-12-0-034-104 and 11-12-0-034-105 are the old #'s, I'll be stopping at the local dealer this afternoon, will see what they have to say.
I replaced mine last March, they didn't look any different that the ones I got from BMW 6 years ago.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Same part No# just different material used to make them. On what your getting when making a purchase...I'm wondering if dealerships were told to delete their old stock and just sell the new gaskets? If not , one could be taking a chance of getting what ever is on the shelf. I had a new gasket installed last year , when my newer engine went in. I'm wondering if I can still use that gasket,,and maybe just buy the grommets when INSTALLING Vanos seals next week.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Poolman, you will know only when you pull the VCG off, same for the grommets.

I changed the VCG with a Victor Reinz a long time ago - January 2008. In August 2009 I did the Vanos seals, and the VCG was soft, same for the grommets. Re-used them, and still on the car. No leaks, knock on wood. That's almost 7 years later.

·
25,199 Posts
I'm wondering if dealerships were told to delete their old stock and just sell the new gaskets?
Unless the new gaskets are officially considered "defective", I'd bet they just sold what they had and then started selling the new stuff when it came in.

Just like cans on the grocery shelves, with a very long shelf life (essentially forever from their perspective).

·
25,199 Posts

As emission regulations become more demanding, Vamac® and Viton® are helping automakers hit the mark.
Vamac® Performance

View Media

DuPont<sup>TM</sup> Vamac<sup>®</sup> and Viton<sup>®</sup> have been used in automotive hoses and connectors for over 25 years. Today, we are providing higher performance for a new generation of engines and drivetrains that run hotter and use harsher fuels and lubricants.
Cost-Effective, Application-Specific
Chosen for heat and oil resistance, several grades of DuPont<sup>***8482;</sup>Vamac<sup>®</sup> ethylene acrylic elastomers are available for specific applications that provide either low oil swell, high viscosity, high or low temperature, and no post-cure or for extrusion.
For emission control components and other underhood applications, Vamac<sup>®</sup> is used for heat and oil resistance in parts ranging from hoses, dampers and boots to seals and gaskets.
Extreme Heat and Chemical Resistance
Viton<sup>®</sup> has been the fluoroelastomer of choice for over 50 years. With temperature resistance up to 250°C and resistance to the most aggressive chemicals, Viton<sup>®</sup> has been used in automotive fuel system components, as well as high-performance parts in the engine and powertrain, for years.
Cost is optimized with high-performance emission hose and connectors when a Viton<sup>®</sup> veneer is used inside the component made of Vamac<sup>®</sup>, instead of using Viton<sup>®</sup> for the entire structure.
EDIT: While I hesitate to conclude anything meaningful from marketing material, notice that last sentence is designed to imply that Viton is "better" than Vamac when it comes to temperature and resistance to chemicals, but not when it comes to cost ...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
The parts guy at the dealership was going to look into what VC gaskets they are selling and call me back yesterday, never heard from him.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts