BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my valve cover replaced and is still leaking and I'm wondering if there's anybody out there in the Jacksonville to Daytona area that would be interested in taking a look at it to see if it's an easy fix to stop the leak or if they could replace it for me I will pay... after going to three shops and paying a total of $2,000 I hate to take it to another shop and pay another 1500...

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Please create a signature file (example below) so that we can give you the best advice.

After doing that, was an true-blue BMW valve cover (and gaskets) installed, or was it an aftermarket?

·
Registered
611 Posts
I had my valve cover replaced and is still leaking and I'm wondering if there's anybody out there in the Jacksonville to Daytona area that would be interested in taking a look at it to see if it's an easy fix to stop the leak or if they could replace it for me I will pay... after going to three shops and paying a total of $2,000 I hate to take it to another shop and pay another 1500...
Lots of missing information. We would need:
1) What did shop 1 do?
2) What did shop 2 do?
3) What did shop 3 do?
It sounds like all 3 shops couldn't figure out an oil leak issue :rolleyes:

Pictures would be helpful too since we don't know the following:
How do you know that the Valve cover gasket is leaking oil?

Rein is ok for gaskets and small parts. For a valve cover, you should have gone with genuine BMW valve cover in the first place...that cover is around $550, but once done right the first time, there will be no leaks in the same area for ~80K miles (your mileage may vary). With labor, a valve cover install runs from $900-$1400 depending on location, etc.
Many reasons why a leak can be happening there.

The valve cover area is an all or nothing job, so if it's leaking around there, everything on top has to come out again.

I'll post some shops in another post after googling, but I'm only familiar with Tampa, since I used to live there.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Where is it leaking from?
By chance is it passenger side, about middle of the engine, with oil present on top of valve cover also?

If so, may be the valvetronic motor seal.
Replaced my sons valve cover gasket, and all other related seals a while back.
Was good for about 2000 miles and started leaking again.
And it was that seal.
When I replaced it again, I noticed the mounting bracket underneath the valvetronic motor wasn’t bolted down tightly, so I am thinking the play/vibration may have caused it to break/loosen the seal and allow it to leak.
That is a much easier job than doing the VC gasket, less than an hour since I had done it before, but there are YouTube videos with step by step instructions.

But if it is actually the valve cover or VC gasket that is causing the leak, then doing the job again is probably the only option to stop the leak.
Did the shop not warranty the work?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts