BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Black Mage
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 528i here. Noticed a strange smell and observed a bit of smoke. Found out it was the valve cover/gasket leaking oil onto the exhaust manifold. I ordered the proper parts.

During replacement, I think I may have accidentally knocked on the timing chain assembly because one the little plastic tabs broke right off (!!!!!!).

I looked up this part and it looks inexpensive, but actually replacing it looks... challenging to say the least.

Anyone have any ideas or experience with what to do with this? How screwed am I?

Food Chocolate bar Finger Gesture Wood
Font Auto part Circle Machine Bicycle part

·
Black Mage
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not entirely sure TBH. I got the car a couple of months ago with 95k miles on it. According to the Carfax, it had one previous owner and was maintained by a BMW dealership local to him/her.

Fortunately it does look like a clean break. How difficult is it to replace the guides? I found tutorials on replacing the whole thing (waaaay outside of my DIY scope) but not one for the guides.

·
Black Mage
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Very helpful. I poked and prodded a bit but that guide is NOT coming out as-is. It's tucked in nicely under the chain and sprockets. Speaking of chain, it does lift by roughly a centimeter or two. I'm not sure what normal chain play is on a stone-cold engine. This is my wife's car and I would feel awful if it blows up on her while she's driving.

Unfortunately, this job is way beyond me. I have neither the tools nor the space to do it. I'm left with getting it towed as-is to the mechanic.

I talked to a few indies and a service center in the area. They confirmed that driving it with the broken piece will be fine but they also highly recommended replacement, given the known problems, mileage and how brittle the thing was for starters.

·
Black Mage
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
$2152 was the final price. I have to push my car out of the parking lot and onto the street in order to get it towed there.

How TF do you put this thing in neutral without turning the engine over? Can't imagine doing that without a valve cover would be a good idea...

·
Black Mage
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Really? So I have to crawl under it and take the cover apart? That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard.

Guess I'll just get some car dollies and push it out instead.

·
Black Mage
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Oh, how I wish. My wife doesn't know how to drive manual otherwise I would absolutely get it in that.

I've personally never owned an automatic before. Drove a 5MT E46 for nearly a decade and traded it in for a WRX.

·
Black Mage
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Got the car back today. The shop cranked it out super fast.

They also did a courtesy 30-point inspection. Mentioned that the oil filter housing gasket and rear diff bushing are showing signs of wear and should be monitored for failure, but other than that, everything else is super clean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts