BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2007 328xi with 143,000 miles and I went to a local German garage and they quoted me 530 for a valve cover gasket change but the guy keeps insisting that the valve cover be replaced too which is another 450. I tell him I just need the gasket changed but keeps telling me that it will increase or decrease the pressure on some spots if I don't (tells me that these forums are incorrect). So I'm so wondering if I really do need one because of the milage of my car or he's just trying to up sell. Thanks again.

·
Registered
451 Posts
What is he saying is wrong with the valve cover that it needs changing?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He says because they're plastic they warp but i've gone through many forums where people just do a gasket change so I'm having a hard time deciding on whether I should or not

·
Registered
451 Posts
He says because they're plastic they warp but i've gone through many forums where people just do a gasket change so I'm having a hard time deciding on whether I should or not
Okay. A Google search reveals that the list price for the valve cover is $400-500.

But can he show you how it is warped?

I guess if the valve cover is indeed warped, then I guess it might be a good idea to replace.

(Altho' it is beyond me why a material which can be warped would be used for a valve cover, but I'm a liberal arts major.) :dunno:

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
My valve cover had to come off at about 47000 because the Eccentric Shaft Sensor went south. Dealer did the work on my CPO, it entailed replacement of the ESS and its gasket, and a new valve cover gasket, but NOT the valve cover itself. The dealer certainly did not think a new valve cover was indicated!

OTOH I have learned that lots of plastic BMW things do get brittle over time, and break -- some things break even without human manipulation. So after 9 years and 143k, it just might be prudent to replace the cover with a new one, rather than wait for it to crack and leak and be a more costly repair later...you are already paying for the labor to remove and replace the gasket, so why pay twice for R&R of the cover?!

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
Well y'know MT, they do sometimes warp and are made of plastic. And it's a good pre-emptive strike to score a new cover and, also, Christmas is a-comin' up fast what what about all those relatives coming for Thanksgiving dinner?

A mech's gotta make a living.

Have you thought about DIY maintenance? Rewardingly masculine! Greasy and time consuming, too....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My valve cover had to come off at about 47000 because the Eccentric Shaft Sensor went south. Dealer did the work on my CPO, it entailed replacement of the ESS and its gasket, and a new valve cover gasket, but NOT the valve cover itself. The dealer certainly did not think a new valve cover was indicated!

OTOH I have learned that lots of plastic BMW things do get brittle over time, and break -- some things break even without human manipulation. So after 9 years and 143k, it just might be prudent to replace the cover with a new one, rather than wait for it to crack and leak and be a more costly repair later...you are already paying for the labor to remove and replace the gasket, so why pay twice for R&R of the cover?!
You have a point since I'm gonna have the car for another 3 years, so now I'll go look at prices thanks again.

·
Registered
371 Posts
BMW tech here,,,yes they warp,,,also the venting system is built into the valve cover,,,,,and they go bad,,,,and with the miles it might be a good idea,,,,my blog page bmwtechnician. com

·
Registered
14 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I've rarely heard of the actual valve cover breaking, and most of that was from people manhandling it trying to reinstall after a gasket job. Unless he can show you cracks, don't do it. i'm cautious of him creating a crack in the valve cover as well, just because he said that. Like another user said, holiday season is approaching and they need that cash.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts