BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have the links to a diy valve cover gasket repair on a 528i I know its probably been asked just can't find it. I see a lot for the 540i none that are pretty clear for the 528i

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
+1 on the Besian System write up--can't ask for better in a how too---
while your at it and if you have the double Vanos system you should change those seals out at the same time--you'll never look back--makes a big difference in how the car runs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everyone should do this I replaced my vavle cover gaskets and I could feel the increase in performance

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Why would replacing the valve cover gaskets increase performance? Not saying it doesn't, I'm just wondering.....
Naturally you shouldn't see any performance increases just from replacing your VCG, unless it was cracked so bad that it was spewing oil everywhere and your pressure was really bad, but even if that was the case, you wouln't be able to drive your car. The smell of burning oil would be freaking horrific.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Naturally you shouldn't see any performance increases just from replacing your VCG, unless it was cracked so bad that it was spewing oil everywhere and your pressure was really bad, but even if that was the case, you wouln't be able to drive your car. The smell of burning oil would be freaking horrific.
It didn't make any sense to me that it would, I was simply replying to post #5 in an intentionally non-confrontational manner.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
The only way the valve cover gasket might make a diff-is if there was a vacuum leak
causing the engine to labor--enogh air can enter thru a bad gasket and cause such
I hope he only had the single Vanos and because of such didn't take it upon himself to
change the seals out---what a big big waste of time if he had the double and didn't add the extra hour to change out the Vanos seals.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whoa like i said it might be the placebo effect lol I only have a 97 528i so its the single vanos thats why i didnt replace it

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
It didn't make any sense to me that it would, I was simply replying to post #5 in an intentionally non-confrontational manner.
Sorry, I should have made myself clear, I was completely agreeing with you, replacing a VCG should not give a "performance increase". More of a "Wow this is fixed, my car runs better". Well like we all know, after washing and waxing our rides, sucker drives smooooooth.

The only way the valve cover gasket might make a diff-is if there was a vacuum leak
causing the engine to labor--enogh air can enter thru a bad gasket and cause such
I hope he only had the single Vanos and because of such didn't take it upon himself to
change the seals out---what a big big waste of time if he had the double and didn't add the extra hour to change out the Vanos seals.
He has a single, and I agree Poolman, but I guess single vanos don't apply..........why are we wasting our time. Those silly vanos seals.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts