BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Valve Spring Compressors. Which ones work?

710 9
I'm rebuilding an M54B30 and need to remove valves for lapping and polishing combustion chambers on the head, I noticed there aren't many forum discussions regarding this matter. Which compressor designs work on M54 heads?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Schwaben makes a universal valve spring compressor for approx. $70 USD, manufacturer's PN 029610SCH01A.
I ended up getting the one from Farrow Tech, it looks pretty convenient
Schwaben makes a universal valve spring compressor for approx. $70 USD, manufacturer's PN 029610SCH01A.
I have that tool...You won't be disappointed...works great....

Yeah it looks good, I'm just worried it might put too much stress on the cam bearing ledge studs. I already snapped one from over tightening a nut
I have that tool...You won't be disappointed...works great....

Something like this?
Good for head on or off. If the head is on just make sure the piston is at TDC.
But yours is going to be off so no problem,

Yeah it looks good, I'm just worried it might put too much stress on the cam bearing ledge studs. I already snapped one from over tightening a nut
I tried using one like that and couldn't get it to work, they must be very inconsistent or simply don't work on our engines
Something like this?
Good for head on or off. If the head is on just make sure the piston is at TDC.
But yours is going to be off so no problem,

You couldn't alter it?
I tried using one like that and couldn't get it to work, they must be very inconsistent or simply don't work on our engines
I paid 5 bucks for the thing, I'm not gonna waste time trying to make it work
You couldn't alter it?
I have that same compressor; it works fine on small block Oldsmobiles, but is a PIA on pushrod VWs and won’t work on OHC Fords. Never tried on a BMW. Ford has one that hooks under the cam and presses the spring down. On the VW I need to devise a lever that pivots off the rocker stud to press the spring down, 2nd class lever style.

Would those options work, absent the one you purchased?

Buy socks on Amazon, not car parts.
I paid 5 bucks for the thing, I'm not gonna waste time trying to make it work
1 - 10 of 10 Posts