Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As long as I have time, I pulled the vanos and cleaned them out. Lots of oil just kept dripping out but I suppose thats absolutely normal. They look like new now. I went ahead and sprayed electronic cleaner in the connections too just for fun.

My question is kind of stupid. I bought one new vanos about a year ago when I was buying other stuff. I only bought one because at the time I didnt know there are two. Anyway, does one wear or age faster than the other? If Im going to replace on with the new one would it be the top or bottom one? Im guessing it doesnt matter. They both looked worn the same. I should probably just put both old ones back in and wait for whichever one dies first right?

Is there anything special to cleaning them? I took the O rings out and cleaned them up to as well as around the entry points in the motor.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just the solenoids. I am reading its almost pointless unless I put a charge to them and "move the plunger" inside so that I can clean the entire piece. I dont trust my skill at that though so its just cleaning as well as carb cleaner from the outside through the holes and soforth will do. I am not sure what the "spools" are unfortunately.

·
Registered
485 Posts
If you don't have codes, don't bother cleaning them:rofl: PPl just love to create unnecessary work for themselves:) If you have VANOS codes, then only you should clean them....and even then, it's usually the non-return valve that creates issues.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just figured since I had the puzzle all apart. Cleaning them was somehow satisfying as heck. Must be my OCD. They connections "unclicked" so nicely and they pulled out soooo smoooothly. The seal rings came right off. I cleaned the entry hole really carefully and got all the crud off. Being that there is no dip stick, I havent "seen" or smelled the oil since last change. The solenoids were dripping really dark oil which definitely reminded me its time to change here. I didnt use degreaser as some do...I a little carb cleaner spray then sprayed the electronics cleaner to kind of rinse it out. I let them dry overnight and stuck them back in. I cleaned the connections real good too. I thankfully havent been getting any codes so the only thing it probably did was gie me a warm and fuzzy doing something "simple" from beginning to end with no problems within a few minutes. you know, there was quite a bit of gunk and dried oil built up on the outside of the hole....I hope the seals dont leak now that its gone! I put a bit of fresh oil on the rings before seating them back in. Some people were saying it was hard to reinstall them because the seal would fit back in. I found them seating in really nicely. I did put the old ones back in and just saved the new one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts