BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading this forum for awhile and noticed alot of threads about the famous VANOS seals problem. I decided to purchase the seals from Biesen Systems but before I replaced them I used my Autoenginuity software and recorded the VANOS Actual and Reference positons before and after the seals replacement. What I found was a dramatic change between the before and after data. I have included the files for everyone to see the difference in the data. By the way this was done on a 2001 330i with about 95000 miles and 2000 miles from when i replaced the seals. PS you may have to zoom in to see the numbers better!

Attachments

·
GODSPD
2,249 Posts
Maybe I'm just a novice, but the graphs don't appear to tell me very much other than that the "gap" closes with new seals. How does the program collect the data, especially the actual positions? I'd imagine it collects the reference position data from the ECU. Also, what's the difference between the specified position and the actual position (the headers from each graph differ)?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vanos

From what I understand that the computer is collecting the reference positions from DME or at least the positions that are programed, and the actual is taking readings from the camshaft position sensors. I am not really sure how the software works; but by replacing the seals the actual and reference positions are close together which makes me feel that the cams are adjusting correctly. Anybody feel free to ring in if this isn't correct!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts