BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know a number of E90 bimmerfesters have been concerned with the great debate on poplar vs. walnut vs. aluminum. I have a 330i with walnut trim (very deep dark color), and my wife has a 325i with poplar trim (medium color tone). I was rather surprised today when I had a loaner 325i (while receiving the 12 month oil change) with poplar trim which was several shades lighter, although the knots and swirls were quite dark.

Looking at a few cars around the showroom floor, and the printed brochure, I was reminded that wood is very much a natural product, unlike a McDonald's hamburger, and specimen variations can be considerable. I was happy to observe that I preferred the poplar trim in my wife's car, which seems to go a bit better with the beige leather interior, which the loaner also had. My conclusion: if you special order an E90 with aluminum trim, you will get exactly what you anticipate, but if you order one of the natural wood trims, be prepared for receiving something that looks a bit different than what you were expecting. Of course, if BMW used plastic instead of real wood this would not be an issue.

·
Registered
473 Posts
jelliotlevy said:
...Looking at a few cars around the showroom floor, and the printed brochure, I was reminded that wood is very much a natural product...
One of the qualities of wood. :)

All the grains are different. :thumbup:

I haven't seen a wood trim that I haven't liked. :DI REALLY like my walnut burl.

·
Too Beaucoup
335 Posts
I was made aware of the variations that are possible with the wood trim when I bought a wood shift knob to go with my Walnut trim.

I had to special order the knob, and when it arrived I took out to my car to compare...and the knob is a "little" darker.
At first I wasn't going to buy it (using jelliotlevy's McD's analogy), but I then I liked it for being real wood. If the difference was extreme, I'd feel different...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts