BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello again, fellow bimmerfest members

a sincere thanks to all who've responded to my last few threads. for those of you who don't know, i'm trying to get my hands on an e34 535i 4-speed auto, but i need a little advice in narrowing down what parts i need for the car,

1. first, what type of brake fluid does the e34 take? DOT 3 seems to be the most readily available in my area.

2. oil weight: someone recommended Mobil 1 extended performance 15W-50. i'm goin with the Mobil 1 E.P., but i'm still kinda unsure about the oil weight. I live in southeastern Michigan (hot summers, cold winters), so those of you in the great lakes area, speak up!

3. I've been told Dexron II ATF is the service manual suggestion , but are some brands better than others?

thanks to all who reply

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Dot 3 or higher for brake fluid. I would just go with the dexron Atf, anything else and really your just wasting your money. As far as the oil goes, its totally up to you. I used 5w30 synthetic and it leaked, so defenetly go with something thicker, but not too thick or youll have a tough time in the winter.

·
Registered
188 Posts
dot 4 is what is ONLY recommended by BMW here in UK.they told me not to use dot 3 at all.as far as the oil weight i was recommended to go with 0W40 but i am not sure if that is available in states.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I use dot 4 here in Germany and 15w50 Mobil 1 E.P. oil. So far no problems. I plan on using the same oil when I get back to Canada.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts