BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My car has almost 59,000 miles. I recently had my service engine light come on. Just dropped it off at the shop this morning and I have another leak from the valve cover gasket.

To give you some backstory. Last Summer I had my Valve Gasket Cover replaced after the engine had white smoke after driving. That at was the second time it had to be replaced since 2014.

I haven't found a thread of someone needed VCG to be replaced so many times. Does anyone have info on why this is such a problem for this model?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Well.... needing to be replaced so many times isn't a "problem with this model".

Needing to be replaced - sure. So frequently - no

My thought is the valve cover itself is cracked. No number of new gaskets will fix that

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well.... needing to be replaced so many times isn't a "problem with this model".

Needing to be replaced - sure. So frequently - no

My thought is the valve cover itself is cracked. No number of new gaskets will fix that
To clarify the reason I'm asking about the model, is because whenever I look up this problem in forums I see the valve gasket cover gets warped/cracked due to high engine temp. I'm wondering if there's a deeper resolution than just replacing this part ever year it seems.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
The VALVE COVER is not getting replaced every year. This is the part that gets cracked but not yearly.

The valve cover GASKET leaks after a while but also does not leak after only 1 year

I understand you read people reporting issues but suggesting people are replacing valve covers yearly just is not the case

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
2,990 Posts
My car has almost 59,000 miles. I recently had my service engine light come on. Just dropped it off at the shop this morning and I have another leak from the valve cover gasket...Last Summer I had my Valve Gasket Cover replaced after the engine had white smoke after driving. That at was the second time it had to be replaced since 2014...Does anyone have info on why this is such a problem for this model?
Same shop replace it each time? I would suggest viewing a video on how to replace it and consider doing it yourself. The Right Rear corner is apparently tight trying to get it out and a shop person in a hurry can easily damage the cover. WHOEVER replaces it this time should DEFINITELY carefully examine the cover for any cracks, warping, distortion or any other type of damage. Don't know how much they have charged you for the two prior "changes" but you can get the new cover and gasket set for DIY for $500 or less:
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...=valve [email protected] cover&[email protected] Cover

I don't suppose you have ever taken the time to ask/observe exactly WHERE the leak is/was? If it is/was in the same place each of the THREE times in the last 3 years, then there is LIKELY some damage to the Valve Cover that is preventing proper seal, and/or the torquing technique used by the shop is causing the problem.

George

·
Registered
423 Posts
I know that this forum dislikes dealerships but if the op had the valve cover gasket replaced at a dealer he would have gotten a 2 year parts & labor warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

1 - 7 of 7 Posts