BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my cluster back from vdorepair.com & i must say i'm happy with the results & def. impressed with the turnaround time. Shipped it off last Friday from Queens, NY. They received it on Monday & Tuesday it was right back in the mail. Kudos to excellent customer service which is lacking these days. I'll def. recommend them to anyone.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
Just received my cluster back from vdorepair.com
We've heard that before:
- Awesome MID Pixel Repair Experience with VDO

It's good that you're happy. So are others. There are also PLENTY of others who fix clusters. We've been through this before. Just to let you know.

- What are 'all' options when your instrument cluster or MID pixels slowly die due to a press-fit pink electrical-connection tape lifting off its contacts over time (1) & how to remove the E39 instrument cluster (1) (2) & a summary of the BMW NA cluster-repair goodwill policy (1) & how to fix the MID pixels yourself (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & how to remove the MID (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) and how to test the MID (1)

What would be interesting is to improve the list of qualified repair shops:

What options are available for E39 instrument cluster repair?

1. BMW NA [cluster only](about $400 for parts, with free goodwill labor)
  2. BMW Parts Source (about $250, contact Patrick)
  3. VDO Repair (was about $350; appears to be around $200 now)
  4. ATE, aka autoecu, (about $?)
  5. Salvage-yard or refurbished (about $250?)
  6. bimmer.netne.net (repairs clusters for $190 + $24 shipping)
  7. DNA Speedometers BMW MID/Cluster pixel repair (?$)
  8. PixelFix.net BMW MID/Cluster pixel repair (***8364;27 for the cable)
  9. Germanaudiotech (Ebay, $199 + shipping)
  10. http://www.speedofix.com, 310+20=$330 CDN
  11. ?anything else?
What we really need are the PRICES and SUPPLIERS above to be filled out correctly.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was 299. Bluebee i understand that there are other options you can explore but that's the option i chose to explore. I figured i would let my fellow members know i had a good experience with the company bc there may be other members that are considering using vdorepair but may be skeptical so the more good stories they hear the more others will be at ease at trying out the company. Remember alot arent like you were not DIYers so we have to explore what works best for us. That's all. Hope i didnt confuse u, lol.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
It was 299
Interesting.

The VDO repair job used to be about $350 but people very recently got theirs for $200. So your number is in between.

I'd wager, had you known that VDO repair will gladly accept $200 for a cluster repair that you could have saved 1/6th the price you paid.

That's why I asked - so we can learn what the companies will accept (we did the same thing with the ABS control module repair, which I got for $125 + shipping while others paid upwards of $300 for the same module & for the headlight adjusters which, simply by polling, we got the price down from $160 for both headlights to $100 for both headlights to as low as $5 for both headlights).

Lesson learned for the rest of us. :)

·
Premium Member
7,685 Posts
+1 on www.vdorepair.com they repaired my E39 radio display in record time. $195 with two day, return shipping! Very happy, they fixed it right the first time. I previously used germanaudiotech off of Ebay, and the guy took three frustrating tries (shipping back and forth) and could not fix my display correctly...he finally (after four weeks with no radio) sent me an exchange radio, and when the display failed on it two years later, he refused to honor his "lifetime" warranty. Buyer beware....

·
Registered
2 Posts
New comer..been watching bimmerfest for years, finally decided to chime-in and help since I got plenty of it in the past.
Attempted my own repair on E39 MID. Dead panel..Oddly radio still work thru steering wheel! After a lot of search decided to go VDO & dropped it off @UPS. X-fingers..I'll post update.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts