BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just venting here since I'm still stark raving mad. I figured I'd post my experience as a public service to my fellow enthusiasts in the event you need to ship your car at some point.

I recently relocated from DC to San Francisco. I had a fairly generous relocation budget but shopped around for the best value to ship my 550 cross country. I finally settled on Dependable Auto Shippers (http://www.dasautoshippers.com/).

The booking process was fairly straightforward. I told them the make/model/year, requested enclosed transport, pick up/delivery, and let them know the car had been lowered. Total cost was around $2,000 for these services, which also included "expedited" transit time.

Strike 1. A local transport company arrives to pick up my vehicle on a standard flatbed for transit to the terminal. I warned the driver ahead of time that my car was lowered. He said it would be fine. Sure enough, my front bumper scrapes on the way up. As he drives forward, my Dinan exhaust tips also scrape. The sound of metal on concrete/asphalt is like nails on chalkboard to me.

I asked him if he could put down 2x4's or another solution to decrease the angle when he unloads the car. He said no. I said fine, that I'd claim any damage. At that point he turned into a jerk, threw my copy of the receipt at me, and sped off. He took the turn out of my neighborhood at speed and I thought my car or both the car and truck were going to tip over.

Strike 2. My car is delivered, on time. All seems well. I open my glovebox to stick some paperwork in and what do I find? A box of condoms. They're not mine. And nobody has ever been in there except me. I'm grossed out by this to no extent.

Strike 3. I was driving to a furniture store earlier and went to go listen to my iPod that I keep connected in the center armrest. No iPod. Someone stole it. I know it was in there because I purposely disconnected it before the car was picked up to ensure it didn't drain the battery during transport. In hindsight I should've locked the compartment but I guess I wasn't thinking.

Strike 4. Parking my car and opening my door, I noticed a significant scratch in my hexagon trim towards the rear of the door. Again, not from me.

I'll be having a little chat with DAS on Monday. They say they're not responsible for items in the car but I fully intend on making them responsible.

Just FYI.

· Registered
1,223 Posts
Condoms in the glove box?
Hilarious.

Maybe that was in trade for the iPod.

· Registered
208 Posts
Well, someone got screwed (condoms). :spank: I sure would rip them a new one and give them a piece...this sounds bad, stopping before my typing incriminates me further!

Sorry, couldn't resist! I don't blame you one bit. I would be very angry :mad: as well. Good luck with your claim. :angel2:

· Registered
6,329 Posts
I would say $2000 for what you got was no deal.
Not dependable at all.

· Registered
6,198 Posts
If your car has tinted windows, maybe the driver used your car as the " bedroom" at the truck stop.

· Registered
5,537 Posts
I bet the mileage is up quite a bit from when he shipped it. Sounds like someone did some cruising :)

· The Driver
4,804 Posts
It's not up significantly, but they put on about 25 miles.
That's a solid joyride right there.

Make sure these people never do business ever again.

go to www.transportreviews.com and file a review.

BTW I looked them up and I'm surprised you selected them. Seems like they have a steady track record of pissing off 1 out 5 customers.

http://www.transportreviews.com/company/dependable-auto-shippers-(das).asp

What's interesting when reading reviews of transport companies is not just that they screw up but how they react when they do. In the reviews for this company, anyone who had an issue recieved nothing but denial.

· Registered
1,800 Posts
Not that it makes the theft right, but it probably wasn't a good idea to leave an iPod in the car.

It does sound like a sucky company though, so be sure to yelp/tweet/post about it!

· Registered
4,538 Posts
lol condoms :rofl: I'd not have let them take the car after the scrapes I'd have made them unload it or I'd call the cops.

Lawsuit brother, make them retain console so at worst they use that 2k on lawyers if you're lucky more :)

I'd take pictures of everything. Oh and I made a review for you :thumbup:

· Premium Member
6,932 Posts
Condoms, that's bad! :tsk: At least you have an M5 on order, so you won't need to be reminded of may have happened in your car for too much longer.

· Over 20 years owning BMWs
726 Posts
I would love to drive from DC to SF. One weekend and you are done. And a beautiful experience too.

· Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not that it makes the theft right, but it probably wasn't a good idea to leave an iPod in the car.

It does sound like a sucky company though, so be sure to yelp/tweet/post about it!
True. But it was in my center console. It's not like it was out in the open, begging for the taking. Clearly whoever was in my car decided to rummage through things.

I had a couple non-expensive items in my trunk, including a pet crate and some other miscellaneous things like my detailing kit. It was in the cubby on the left side. Guess what? It's now on the other side.

Just makes me angry. I already alerted Apple to the theft of the iPod. My prior employment with them + current corporate relationship means I have a level of access typical consumers do not. They'll capture the IP of whoever syncs the iPod so I can report it to the police. God help DAS if it turns out to be an employee of theirs. Just saying.

· Everything's Bigger in TX
7,193 Posts
True. But it was in my center console. It's not like it was out in the open, begging for the taking. Clearly whoever was in my car decided to rummage through things.

I had a couple non-expensive items in my trunk, including a pet crate and some other miscellaneous things like my detailing kit. It was in the cubby on the left side. Guess what? It's now on the other side.

Just makes me angry. I already alerted Apple to the theft of the iPod. My prior employment with them + current corporate relationship means I have a level of access typical consumers do not. They'll capture the IP of whoever syncs the iPod so I can report it to the police. God help DAS if it turns out to be an employee of theirs. Just saying.
Jeez, what a saga.

Sorry you hadn't asked for advice, a very good friend of mine is a dealer and ships cars all over the country. He would have gotten you hooked up with a good service.

· Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jeez, what a saga.

Sorry you hadn't asked for advice, a very good friend of mine is a dealer and ships cars all over the country. He would have gotten you hooked up with a good service.
I know. The process was really quick. I was originally supposed to be moving to Europe but last minute change. Kinda had no time to really think things through as I normally would.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.