BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am trying to deal with my 5th gear hiccup problem. I took my scanner and hooked it up to see if I could gather any data and a few things popped up that I thought I should ask about.

1. Coolant temp: Whats the appropriate range? It was about 92 degrees out today with a ton of humidity. I was blasting the AC and it stayed at 210 mostly and very rarely creeped up to 216 but then went right back down. That range OK?

2. Voltage: I am having a pesky dynamic drive issue. Sometimes I get just a warning on the dash between the speedo and the tach and other times it comes up on the main display. When it come up on the dash I get the indicator and small message on the display and then it goes away. When it comes up on the main display I get the indicator on the dash and it doesn't go away. When I shut the car off and restart its gone. So I did a data record today (several times). My voltage was usually right around 13.5-13.9 volts. It did momentarily go to 12.5 volts but then came back. A/C was going full blast. Am I in the right range? I did not see any voltage spikes but I am wondering if I have a low voltage issue. Battery age is unknown and the car is a 2004 645ci

·
Super Moderator
8,511 Posts
It looks like you have 2 threads addressing the same issue. You will usually get a better response keeping everything to one thread.

Your coolant is fine, & it sounds like the fan is doing its job. Your VR is bad, & should take care of your Dynamic Drive issue. You have the Valeo alternator that has this problem after aging. Below is a link for the VR.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E60-545...ash=item1e8af5449a:g:mT8AAOSwQTVV-kb7&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

I thought I would separate my issues.

My first issue was my tranny hiccup.

My second post was about some of the readings I had obtained (operating temp & voltage).

I thought including a question about operating temps and voltage under a posting with a "Transmission hiccup" header would be confusing.

I appreciate the confirmation on the readings though.

·
Super Moderator
8,511 Posts
Have you verified your battery voltage with the engine off & the lights running? It should be higher than 12 volts at all times. If your battery voltage is low, it can cause a problem with the engine & tranny shifting. Your Dynamic Drive problem is from the VR.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will check that tonight.

I assume the key to the "on" position so the lights come on?

I will put a VR on my "to do" list.

·
Super Moderator
8,511 Posts
With or without the key would be fine. With the Dynamic Drive being put in safe mode, the car will be ok for moderate driving. Any high speed cornering would probably not be the best thing to do.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Dynamic Drive is apparently fully functional 99% of the time. I just get these periodic blips (two different kinds) that go away when I shut the car off and may occur the next day or can go weeks and weeks without one.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK...drove home from work (about 1 hour) and shut the car off and checked the battery...it was 18.9v. Yeah...I checked it several times. Turned on the lights and it went to about 18.8/18.7 volts.

So...my question is.....time for a new volt meter or can the battery be that high?

I did order a new VR.

·
Super Moderator
8,511 Posts
If your VR is that bad it is possible, but that battery is most likely damaged at that voltage. Run it by a parts store & have them check the alternator & battery to see if they get the same readings?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So the answer is its time for a new volt meter......

Went out tonight and tested the battery again. It read about 17.3 volts (down about 1 volt from driving it an hour). Turned on the lights it dropped a tiny bit (17.2 or so)

Came inside and hooked up volt meter to a 9 volt battery and it read 14.5 volts.

So who knows until I get a new volt meter.

VR is cheap enough and is on its way. Next week will be a big repair day...oil change, tranny fluid (with sleeve if needed) change, VR install with new belt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts