BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Metric Mechanic
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I would share one of the two current builds I an doing:
Link to the main updates http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=201881
I will update there before here mainly because that is where I spend all my time.

On to the build =)

Car: 1989 325i vert

This is my brothers cabby but I have been building it. So it feels like mine...
anyways the plans started off with swapping in the M30 from my '84 633. But his 89 has only 92k on clock. So I started to read up on strokers. So if we stayed with the m20 he gets to keep his MSDS headers, rebuilt head/timing belt and Wpump(via me)

This is not a race car or anything, it is a DD and he wants to retain normal MPG.

Engine plans:

Turned into a complete rebuild except for the nuts and bolts =)

-m20b25(92k)
-M52 crank
-ETA rods(from my spare)
-stock b25 pistons
-885 head w/port and polish(via me)
-Schrick 284 cam
-Miller black ops MAF/chip tune.
-Maybe boost in a few years, with 1 bar this will be making close to 330hp to the wheels

Constant update questions
I have everything covered as of now...

Suspension is done already: GC coils Koni sports

Wheels: OZ weaves toyo 195/50/14

Exhaust: MSDS headers, cat delete, 2.5 custom exhaust(via me) Dinan muffler.

Body is being repainted alpinweiss with euro bumpers. I am awaiting parts from Germany via L at Gparts.

This will be at Gfest!

·
Metric Mechanic
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I will put all updates in this posting to clean up the thread

3/23/11
Just got in a box from blunt =)

I am awaiting crank from forum member
Schrick 284 cam from Vac
Adj cam gear from IE
Timing belt Tensioner/bolt and spring and valve springs from [email protected] blunttech

3/24/11
Today I am going over to the shop to clear a spot for a table so I can start on the port and polish/rebuild of the engine.

·
Metric Mechanic
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Awaiting remaining parts for euro bumpers and valance.

Comment all you want on the tails, he loves them enough said.

ETA 130mm rods out and cleaned

·
Metric Mechanic
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
god...those tails :rofl:
I know :rolleyes: not my car...I told him the stocks were fine. But they hooked up great and no leaks. If it was mine I would get some red MHWs for it. I am sure they will be thrown out soon.

·
Metric Mechanic
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Update:

So I am waiting for a tranny to come in for a car that is getting worked on at the garage. So when that is done Tuesday the b25 is coming out and head work will begin. Sorry for the slow updates, but parts are being shipped in and shop is busy. So maybe I can get it in for a late night pull on Wednesday =)

Till then I will leave you off with this bad boy! It just got in today! (284)

·
Metric Mechanic
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Big update guys! So we drove the vert over to the shop and did some work =) Removed the engine the loaded it on the tow dolly to take it back home to be safe. I will let the pictures do the talking:

So it begins!

Mint vert sport seats(heated) removing ECU plug.

Start shot

Passenger side undone

Drivers side undone and ready to start the bottom side.

UP SHE GOES!!!

I always drop from the bottom, super fast with a lift.

Side shot

Side shot(ebay headers being replaced by MSDS ones)

And I quote "Brandon, take a picture of me humping my engine" my brother is classic xD

Starting to remove everything so I can get it to the machine shop for chem bath.

I was a total mess so there is no shots in between.

Head is off and ready to be broken down for me to do a total port and polish. Also getting a new housing too, that one is SHOT.

The day went as well as it could have for as much work as I bit off. Brother almost dropped the slush box. Then dumped tons of fluid all over. Then to top it off he went too fast with the block and tipped it over onto the oil pan. All is well though, productive day =)

That is it for now, I got work all this week so I will go over to the shop after work to get this done =)

·
East Bound And Down
2,852 Posts
good work man!
brandon I havent talked to you in forever man, glad your starting a legit build :thumbup:

·
Metric Mechanic
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good work man!
brandon I havent talked to you in forever man, glad your starting a legit build :thumbup:
Wait till you see the one I have been hiding :D

·
Metric Mechanic
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So time for an update! I was sick yesterday so I was in bed all day.

Today I port & polished the head after I broke it down the day before. I had my little brother get the block stripped so I could clean, blast and hone it. On to the pictures!! P.S. No pics of the block yet, I ran out of memory because I took a video of me porting an exhaust.

For the P&P I used a Die grinder(1/4) with carbide bits and sandpaper drum attachment.

Getting the cam bolt off to remove the gear.

Head is stripped and ready for me to port/polish it.

The head was dipped the day before to clean the oil build up. I am getting ready to clean the ports so I can color the marker on the ports.

Marking the relationship of the gasket to the head.

First intake ported and ready for lots smoothing followed by polishing. Notice the excess of material of the other ports.

Ported and ready for a ton of smoothing.

Three on the right are ported/smoothed a tiny bit. The left three are not.

Smoothing it some more.

Finished the exhaust side, I ran out of space on the camera so I could not get anymore pictures when I was smoothing the ports. Only picture of them smoothed and even is this one. All others are before two hours of drum sanding

I could not fit everything in the picture...there is three more boxes full of parts and two more boxes on the way. I think we have hit s50 swap money by now xD

·
East Bound And Down
2,852 Posts
i had mine ported as well when i had my intake and head reworked a while back, but ummm

I hate to be "that guy" but your ports arent the roundest i've ever seen :eeps:

·
Metric Mechanic
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
i had mine ported as well when i had my intake and head reworked a while back, but ummm

I hate to be "that guy" but your ports arent the roundest i've ever seen :eeps:
Did you look at the last picture? The ports are almost perfect, I matched them 100% to the gaskets. They are round and polished, those pictures in the middle is the work leading up to the end. I had almost 2 hours involved in smoothing and polishing. Only the last picture has them smoothed and polished, the one above it was after my work with the carbide bit. I will get close shots of the ports tomorrow.

·
Metric Mechanic
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
corrected.
They match the gaskets, that is what I ported them to since they would be flowing through them. So round-ish works :thumbup:

·
Metric Mechanic
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice work, Brandon. You first matched the gasket to the plenum, yeah?
Correct, I used a marker to highlight my guide line. Then I removed the outer rim material to the correct fitment of the gasket. Then I gutted the port equal to the outer rim back to the valve and opened that up too.

·
Metric Mechanic
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update:

Port and polished the intake manifold over the weekend. Today I dropped off the M52 crank off at the speed shop for the knifing. I am going to do the pistons myself tomorrow after work.

Block cleaned

Drying out, then wire brush till it is ready for paint.

·
BMW...riceless
662 Posts
nice work...i didn't realize there was so much excess material to port. now i wish i had done mine. i had plenty of time too...sucks, but it almost done now. good job though, u dun well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts