BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed very slightly harder starting over the last few months. Today, the car wouldn't start at all, at first. Seemed to crank well, but never caught. WIth repeated tries, I heard a clacking sound on the drivers side while trying. Finally tried starting by holding the starter on and pumping the accelerator pedal, and it caught. Ran rough at first, but smoothed out. Let it idle maybe five minutes. Stopped it, checked the oil; down about 1 qt. Added 1/2 quart. Restarted O.K.

I'm afraid of getting stuck!

Any ideas before I visit the dealer?

Thanks,

jv

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
more data

Magic eye on the battery was black, even after a 45 minute drive, and a couple of hours on a low current batter charger/maintainer. Will install a new battery this morning (Maxx H8) and see....

Would really appreciate some opinions on this.

jv

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
That happened to me once, (rough after starting) never happened again. Then I have that occasional longer cranks every now and then but nothing to make me take it to the shop. Good approach on the battery, if it's the original is a good preventative measure anyways. My X3 is a 2005 with 105k miles and still have the original battery, let's see if it holds up through this winter.
Let us know how it goes after the battery replacement.
You were 1 quart low on oil and no warning light? That's strange, usually the light comes up yellow at that point.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I replaced the battery with a Maxx H8 from Wal_Mart; $99. The battery recommended in the guide at the store was the H6, but this is smaller. The H8 appears dimensionally identical to the OEM battery.

Seems O.K., but it was running O.K. before the swap. The old one was definitely on its way out, as the magic eye was black.

One question: I reconnected the overflow tube, but the new battery has vents on both ends, unlike the OEM which only had one. Should I just plug the other vent? With what?

Thanks,

jv

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
One question: I reconnected the overflow tube, but the new battery has vents on both ends, unlike the OEM which only had one. Should I just plug the other vent? With what?

Thanks,

jv
Here's what I would consider doing, get some extra tubing from an autoparts store along with a tee, then join both vents together and direct them to the main tube. That way you make sure you are not blocking anything, probably the aftmkt battery has a internal separator or something thus the vent for each side.
You don't want accumulating gases inside the cabin! :)

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
You don't want accumulating gases inside the cabin! :)
Agreed. But I am sure that as it is a multi-fit battery, that other vent is designed for other applications, such as M-B, Land Rover, etc.,
and is not isolated from the one that suits BMW models.

This was mentioned in another recent thread.
The vents may be self sealing - so that it doesn't become a vent until you insert tubing into it.
That way, people who buy that size of battery for vehicles that don't need a vent do not have to plug anything up.

But might depend on which Johnson Controls plant made the battery,
I have seen reference to some batteries coming with vent plugs attached to the lifting handle.

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
BMWs are very sensitive to any battery voltage less than 12VDC. Replacing the battery cured that issue. It is just not the X but virtually all their models act this way.
Single vent works just fine since the amount of H and O2 is not that significant...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.