Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 10 month old F32 and today, after washing the car I noticed around 10 very tiny chips in the windshield, they probably where there before I just did not notice since they are so small.

This sucks big time. I have been checking other posts and found that lately the quality of the BMW windshields is not good. Mine is HUD windshield, maybe even worse than regular windshields?

What are your thoughts? I can't avoid being OCD with my new car and probably won't be able to sleep for a few days.

These are super small, you really have to look closely to see them, I don't remember ever having a rock hitting the windshield on the highway.

Just disappointed since I have never had that happened in my old 13 year old Honda and my former Lexus.

Thanks for your support! :thumbup:

·
Registered
347 Posts
There is no difference in windshields. They are all the same. The HUD is just a reflection.

There are standards for manufacturing windshields dictated by the NTSB, I believe. Aftermarket glass may be molded to less accurate shapes and may not fit as well as OEM.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have aftermarket windshield, this is OEM. My question is about the tiny cracks and the poor quality of my HUD windshield, thanks.

·
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
9,049 Posts
There is a difference in windshields and the Hud is more expensive.
No there is not.

A year ago I had my windshield replaced and also thought there was something special about the HUD's reflectivity. All F30's have the same windshield.

BJ

·
Registered
995 Posts

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
There is no difference in windshields. They are all the same. The HUD is just a reflection.

There are standards for manufacturing windshields dictated by the NTSB, I believe. Aftermarket glass may be molded to less accurate shapes and may not fit as well as OEM.

Bit of a diff for HUD glass...and $2k replacement cost. Last I heard. Or is that dealer pricing for all screens?

EDIT: Yeah prob is. Safelite quote $700+ for HUD glass; half that for non-HUD, F30 328i.

·
Registered
182 Posts
No there is not.

A year ago I had my windshield replaced and also thought there was something special about the HUD's reflectivity. All F30's have the same windshield.

BJ
Well I had my windshield replaced and the HUD was twice as much as non HUD. Something must be different

·
Registered
669 Posts
There is a special film for the HUD in the technology package windshields. Information can be found in the owner's manual. :)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Glass is the same. The HUD uses a different film on the inside. I wouldn't be surprised to keep costs low for economies of scale that BMW uses the same windshield in all the F30s. Seen this done many times in manufacturing. Then at the time someone needs to replace them, then they charge you an astronomical price.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The F30 uses various windwshields (some differer by location and types of glare protection) but when the HUD is added they are all different again (look at the parts info in Real oem - Veh trim - glazing).

Following is from some BMW technical documentation

Windshield
The windshield is a ***8220;special design***8221; that is essential for projection of the displays. The
outer and inner glass panes are bonded to a plastic film, just like in the standard windshield.
Unlike in the standard windshield, this plastic film is not parallel but is tapered over
the entire area of the windshield.
The taper prevents the HUD from displaying images twice. The taper tip points downwards
and starts at a distance of approximately 10 cm to the bottom edge of the windshield.
The end of the taper is located at approximately 2/3 windshield height. In the top third of
the windshield, the plastic film runs parallel to the outer and inner glass panes. The thickness
of the taper tip is 0.8 mm. The thickness of the end of the taper is 1 mm.
The total thickness of the bottom edge of the windshield is 4.5 mm. The total thickness
of the top edge of the windshield is 4.7 mm.

Cheers
Jim Cash

·
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
9,049 Posts
Glass is the same. The HUD uses a different film on the inside. I wouldn't be surprised to keep costs low for economies of scale that BMW uses the same windshield in all the F30s. Seen this done many times in manufacturing. Then at the time someone needs to replace them, then they charge you an astronomical price.
When my windshield went I had a battle between my insurance company and a third-party glass company that they wanted me to use. I made the case that BMW used a special windshield for HUD and both BMW and the third-party glass company told me that there is only 1 replacement windshield for the F30 and it's HUD compatible.

So....perhaps from the factory non-HUD cars have a non-HUD windshield but when any F30 windshield cracks everyone gets the HUD compatible one as that's the only one that BMW stocks in parts.

BJ

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for all your replies folks!

So today I cleaned the windshield (interior and exterior) with invisible glass cleaner like 5 times just to make sure this was not something else, unfortunately it was not.

These things are more like nicks most of them as large as the tip of a ball pen and only a couple of them are as twice as that big. I can see them when I am driving and light is facing my way, otherwise they are hard to spot. Some of them are right in the surface where the HUD info is projected, they distort the info a little bit but not a big deal.

I think I might have found a theory that could explain how this was caused, this weekend I took my car to the car wash and it was under freezing temperatures, I wash my car manually myself. While drying the car some of the water froze, I have read how freezing temperatures is bad for windshields, probably the water messed up some tiny imperfections of the windshield. Since I have not noticed these nicks before the wash I feel suspicious about that. I have never washed one of my car under freezing weather so this is the only different thing I did. What do you think?

Just in case, don't try washing your new baby under freezing weather, I cannot tell for sure this caused it but just ant to put this out there.

Based on your comments we can conclude that the BMW windshields nowadays are not good and need a lot of careful treatment.

I am not going to replace the windshield, not worth it, and these things are super tiny and cannot be filled. So I will probably wait until a big rock breaks the thing in pieces to do a full replacement. I will probably forget about those nicks in a few months.

It seems we don't have an agreement on if the HUD windshield if different than the non-HUD windshield, many conflicting comments.

Thank you again folks for your time helping me out on this one, cheers!! :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've had my 428i GC three months and noticed the chips in my windshield today. It's very, very odd. I can't think of anything that could have possibly caused these little chips/imperfections. My car is pretty much driven just a mile and a half to work and back. My average speed per tank is 20mph, and generally there isn't even another car in front of me because I take a back road.

The temperatures here have gotten to freezing lately, but only overnight. However, that is with no precipitation and my car is parked in a garage both at home and at work. I have to wonder if there really is a problem with BMW windshields. Mine has the HUD, btw.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I've had really good luck with my F30 windshield (with HUD). No chips at all in 3 years. Previous cars in this area I would get chips regularly.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
428iAR, I feel your pain, that's exactly what happened to me, no rocks in the highway, a car that is only driven in weekends and stays in covered garage. First time we reach freezing temperatures, the tiny chips appeared. Very very odd. I attribute this to windshield imperfections / bad quality, the bad thing is that there are so tiny that probably if we take it to the dealer, they will laugh at us, they are also too tiny to be filled in a glass repair shop. I eventually was able to forget about them, I do hope there are no more of those showing up in the future.

·
Registered
82 Posts
All windshields eventually will get small scratches and pits, mostly from sand particles thrown up on the highway by traffic. It won't bother HUD, as it's reflected off the plastic layer between the glass layers.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
As I've had 'noticeable' star chips in my last three cars (in the first two months with my E90), this thread has convinced me to NEVER invest in the HUD option.

It's just too risky IMO unless I could get an insurance policy to cover it with a 'reasonable' deductible.

Wasn't there a thread in here about an insurance carrier that offered no deductible for windshield replacement?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
428iAR, I feel your pain, that's exactly what happened to me, no rocks in the highway, a car that is only driven in weekends and stays in covered garage. First time we reach freezing temperatures, the tiny chips appeared. Very very odd. I attribute this to windshield imperfections / bad quality, the bad thing is that there are so tiny that probably if we take it to the dealer, they will laugh at us, they are also too tiny to be filled in a glass repair shop. I eventually was able to forget about them, I do hope there are no more of those showing up in the future.

Perhaps the winter correlation has to do with sanding trucks dispersing sand on the icy roadways?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts